Sunday was a bit of a wash out

Stuuu
Stuuu Posts: 46
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
The forecast was rain. It turned out to be accurate. :?

But I was adamant I would get out and do at least 15 miles; despite the heavy rain, wind and cold temperature. I left the road bike in the garage and took my trusty old mountain bike for a spin instead.

Within a few minutes of leaving my nice warm house I was drenched from the waste down. The hilly roads had streams running down their gutters. Within 4 miles I came across a flooded section of road, which I carefully skimmed through on its crown. A mere few inches deep.

I headed onto some single track roads that were properly flooded. A foot deep in places. I was enjoying myself too much to turn back so I ploughed on through with the water flicking up off the front wheel onto my face and the bow wave completely covering my shoes which were now acting more like buckets. To my surprise I was beaming from ear to ear. I couldn't get any wetter. I had reached my maximum wetness. Bring on the remaining flooded roads. Nothing could stop me now!

My pace was slow but the enjoyment factor was oddly very high. I can only describe it as crossing cycling with a water park. Two great recreational activities in one.

When I reached home, dripping from the waste down, I was greeted with the thing I dread. The GPS had lost contact 10 miles into the cycle. So a monumental 17 mile ride for me in adverse conditions and only a partial record as proof of my endeavour.

I really do need to find some waterproof trousers for next time. And ideas would be very welcome. :D

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    sounds like good fun ride to me and i,d do exactly the same.for water proof trousers i use my old army goretex ones and there fine.lots on ebay.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Stuuu
    Thanks for the info. I'll check those out.
  • Despite the rain, I decided that I'd ride yesterday morning. Barely saw another road bike; it was definitely mountain bike weather!

I had a really good time riding, avoiding the rivers in the edge of the road and the slippery leaf piles in the middle. I even did another loop of the lanes to involve more hill. I think I'm mad!

The only problem was that some of the lanes were flooded in places so even though I lifted my feet up I still got soaked and frozen feet.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i was lucky enough to avoid the heavy showers
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    stunning sunshine all day here in the north west, was cold and brassy but dry
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Stuuu wrote:
    Within a few minutes of leaving my nice warm house I was drenched from the waste down.

That would be from just below your ar5e then?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Stuuu
    DesWeller wrote:
    Stuuu wrote:
    Within a few minutes of leaving my nice warm house I was drenched from the waste down.

That would be from just below your ar5e then?

:lol:

I wish I could make the excuse of auto-correct on my phone. Alas I used a PC. :roll:

It is good to know that I wasn't the only one out in the wet. It makes me feel a little less mad as a box of frogs.

I took some photos which I'll try and upload tonight.
  • Stuuu wrote:
    I really do need to find some waterproof trousers for next time.

Just use mudguards on your bike, overshoes on your feet and move more quickly to keep warm. I thought it was only over 60 years old blokes and commuters who wear waterproof trousers ;)

Real cyclists don't even consider waterproof trousers.
  • Stuuu

Just use mudguards on your bike, overshoes on your feet and move more quickly to keep warm. I thought it was only over 60 years old blokes and commuters who wear waterproof trousers ;)

I don't think mud-guards are going to save me from what I was pedalling through. But it might be an idea for the mildly wet days.

Stuuu wrote:
    I really do need to find some waterproof trousers for next time.

Real cyclists don't even consider waterproof trousers.

I'm not real. Just a figment of my imagination. Perhaps waterproof shorts?

I usually see about a dozen cyclists on a Sunday morning. Didn't see anyone yesterday. They must all have been dry, but bored, on their turbo-wotsits. :wink:
  • Rode with 3 others from East London to Richmond (and then did a couple laps before having a bite at the cafe there) and also suffered from some heavy rain for the first couple of hours. On the way home though around 3.30pm all seemed to have cleared up!
  • stunning riding up norf.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Went out Sunday at 7:00am smugly prepared for "a spot of rain" over the Cotswolds.

Oh how we laughed when it turned to snow 20 miles out, and we had to battle slush, floods and frozen extremities on the return leg. Didn't even stop at the Cafe in case we couldn't get going again. If someone had offered me a lift at some points during the slog back, I swear I'd have lobbed my bike over a hedge and accepted gladly. I was so cold when I got back, I couldn't turn the lights and Garmin off, and the Wife was even (mildly) concerned for my wellbeing.

Still warmed up now, kit's washed and dried, the bike's clean and I'm looking forward to next week's ride. Must be out of my mind :lol:
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • Stuuu
    All that snow sounds quite challenging.

Here are some photos from my camera phone while crossing a river...erm, no it's a road.

Flooding.jpg

InTheFlood.jpg
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Need to be careful! I went out dressed for Autumn on Thursday, got soaked..rear lights failed (BOTH OF THEM) and I had to wait in 1c for 25 min for my gf to pick me up. I ended up getting the first stages of hypothermia!! Almost vommed and took an hour and a half to stop shivering!

If in doubt and it could rain always overdress!