If I were to do one sportives in the peaks?

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Many years ago I did the polka dot challenge in the peaks and would like to do another sportive in the area. I would be coming down from Scotland and want to be at least 100miles to make it worth my while.

Any suggestions?
Brian B.

Comments

• I did the AMR Peak 100 (miles) a couple of years ago & it was really tough. Partly due to the amount ofclimbing but also heavily due to the extremely windy conditions. You are quite exposed to the extremes in parts & there is literally nowhere to hide! Living in Scotland I'm sure you are fairly used to that though! It was a thoroughly enjoyable & very well organised ride, excellent route & the best feed stops i have ever experienced. It was like a kings banquet!! Didn't ride it this year as it clashed with something else i had planned, but i will look at doing it again next year.

Usually starts in a village called Hope which is in South Yorks. Features lots of the well known climbs in the region, Mam Tor, Winnats Pass, lots of others i cannot remember. Nice folk too.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Wiggle Tour of Peaks done it last year good but not easy
  • Brian B
    Smashing - thanks for the replies.
    Brian B.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Hi Brian

I would also think about what type of Sportive you prefer to ride as each of those metioned above feel very different to each other to take part in...

The Polka Dot route is now based on the old Spud Riley event from what I can gather and its a tough day out - I recorded 100.5 miles and 3200m of climbing this year. A number of the local clubs seem to turn out on this event and it does have a feel of a club run about it. Very welcoming and friendly as a result. They have done away with the clock / cards for timing though which I think is a shame...

The Kilotogo Tour of The Peak feels very different. Its a much larger and more corporate event but it is well run with a challenging and interesting route. Goyt Valley, Strines and Holme Moss on the menu. 98.7 miles and 3142m of climbing. It was bloody hot this year....

The AMR Ride 100 Peak ride is a bit of an unsung hero (and harder than advertised). The route is brutal and takes you from Dore in Sheffield, out to Macclesfield and back again! 106 miles and a proper 3500m! The HQ is spot on and the event is run really well. The only thing against this ride in the two years I have done it is how few people take part. It can be a long tough day out pretty much on your own unless you can find someone at your own pace.

All to be recommended but all with a slightly different experience. Any one is a great individual challenge but they are also good preparation for the big continental sportives if thats your bag. Who would have thought that Holme Moss could feel just like the Passo Giau!?
  • Glossop Kinder Velo are organising a sportive for 2013 - might be one to keep an eye on? Sunday 12th May..

http://www.glossopkindervelo.co.uk/
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    Rich.H wrote:
    Hi Brian

I would also think about what type of Sportive you prefer to ride as each of those metioned above feel very different to each other to take part in...

The Polka Dot route is now based on the old Spud Riley event from what I can gather and its a tough day out - I recorded 100.5 miles and 3200m of climbing this year. A number of the local clubs seem to turn out on this event and it does have a feel of a club run about it. Very welcoming and friendly as a result. They have done away with the clock / cards for timing though which I think is a shame...

The Kilotogo Tour of The Peak feels very different. Its a much larger and more corporate event but it is well run with a challenging and interesting route. Goyt Valley, Strines and Holme Moss on the menu. 98.7 miles and 3142m of climbing. It was bloody hot this year....

The AMR Ride 100 Peak ride is a bit of an unsung hero (and harder than advertised). The route is brutal and takes you from Dore in Sheffield, out to Macclesfield and back again! 106 miles and a proper 3500m! The HQ is spot on and the event is run really well. The only thing against this ride in the two years I have done it is how few people take part. It can be a long tough day out pretty much on your own unless you can find someone at your own pace.

All to be recommended but all with a slightly different experience. Any one is a great individual challenge but they are also good preparation for the big continental sportives if thats your bag. Who would have thought that Holme Moss could feel just like the Passo Giau!?

These are all great routes. There's also the Phil Liggett CTC Challenge Ride, which is about 94 miles, 2500m ascent and includes Holme Moss, Winnat's Pass and Monsal Head. The real beast is the AMR Peak 100. I've ridden the route many times, though haven't actual partaken in the event. You'll have fun whichever you decide to do!
  • Brian B
    All the sportives suggested look good - never knew there would be such a selection. I just want a challenge
    ing route and take in some scenery and new climbs to tick off my list.

I remember winnats was quite hard - not Hardknott hard but a lung buster none the less.

Thanks for the replies
    Brian B.
  • Brian B
    Brian B wrote:
    All the sportives suggested look good - never knew there would be such a selection. I just want a challenging route and take in some scenery and new climbs to tick off my list.

I remember winnats pass was quite hard - not Hardknott hard but a lung buster none the less.

Thanks for the replies
    Brian B.
  • Don't think you can go wrong with this one - entries now live for British Cycling members.

http://www.glossopkindervelo.co.uk/index.php/sportive/
  • Brian B
    Jings - I want to do that one as well. 2013 could be a good year for me. :D
    Brian B.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I did the AMR 100 last year and the Kilo to Go this year. Both good quality well organised events and both have tough routes and plenty of climbing. On reflection I would recommend the AMR 100 event though, mainly due to some faults with the KtG event -

1. Having done several KtG events over the last 2 years I have noticed a marked decline in the quality of the food stops and the level of provisions available (Cheshire Cat 2011 had mountains of grub available, Tour of the Peak 2012 was a couple of energy bars and maybe half a banana at best). So, I would not really recommend them as an organiser considering the fees you pay (very slick but a bit of a rip-off).

2. The KtG route went up Winnats Pass. A great climb and a big challenge. But a poor choice of route to send thousands of cyclists on a hot and sunny Sunday afternoon when day-trippers traffic was very heavy. I ended up very annoyed that, finding myself having enough energy to climb the pass, I still had to stop and unclip due to a queue of 4x4s blocking my way up the road!

In contrast, the AMR 100 used more obscure roads with less traffic and had a smaller number of participants so all the climbs were relatively free of congestion. The feedstops were very very well stocked with food that was more like a proper meal than just a huge sugar-fest and the atmosphere more friendly compared to the disorganised scrum you got at the KtG stops.

Hope that helps