Specialized FSR XC Comp

danj12uk
danj12uk Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have recently bought a second hand 2008 spesh FSR XC Comp, it has a manitou front fork.
I am looking to upgrade the suspension, starting with the front fork, can anybody advise or point me in the right direction towards a suitable upgrade? I havent got buckets of cash to throw at the thing, but have noticed a Rockshox Reba 120mm and also a Revelation 120mm going for reasonable money on ebay, would these be a viable starting point?

Any info would be a help!
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd be very wary of second hand forks. Any problems and it's an expensive fix.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad

Yes i had thought about that, is definitely a risk, although one I have been watching is brand new
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then just make sure the travel is ok, and the steerer tube is long enough and the correct diameter. Rebas and Revs are both excellent forks, although I didn't know Revs came in 120mm.
    What's your budget as One On and CRC (and probably others) have sales on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    according to the spesh archive the 2008 xc comp came with a 100m Tora 302 http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... /fsrxccomp
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Nothing wrong with 120mm on that frame IMHO.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I'm running FOX RL 140mm on my 2010 Spesh FSR XC PRO, and had 120mm Rebas on there before hand. Manufacturer suggested max is 130mm as far as i'm aware but what the hell. I'm pretty sure the geometry is the same throughout the FSR XC models, so 120mm would be fine. I loved the Rebas as they took everything i rode so well and are very easy to service yourself.

The headtube on my bike is pretty long and requires a fairly long steerer tube. I think my steerer is 190mm and i have one 5mm spacer in the stack. With the Rebas, the tube was a little shorter and i had not spacers at all. Assuming the Headtube is the same/very similar in size, you don't really want to go for any fork with a steerer shorter than 180mm otherwise you will most likely have problems!.

Be sure to have a look on PinkBike also. There are usually some pretty good deals on there, mostly second hand but it's first come first serve as apposed to getting into a bidding war with other people.
  • thanks all for your help,

yes everywhere I look the 08 model has tora 302, even the bike radar review, not sure why mine isnt!

thanks again
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which model of manitou is it?
  • Supersonic, it's a Manitou Splice??