Higher spec 26er vs lower spec 29er

peddlefever
peddlefever Posts: 82
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I am about to get my first mountain bike and am on a tight budget. Chances are it will be a while before I upgrade my bike or any components, so I will have to deal with whatever bike I get as it is for some time. I am debating whether to get a 26er or 29er.

Unfortunately, I have generally found that for the same money I can get either a 26er with higher spec components or a 29er with lower end components.

Which would you go for, and why?

Comments

• Considering a 29er is not better, just different, I'd take the better spec of a 26er
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I'd say you should get the one you that best suits your riding. Or which of the bikes you prefer, after having had a test ride, if that's an option. The frame is probably the most important decision.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The frame is probably the least important decision, especially if you are on a budget and not planning to upgrade. Most frames are ok, so go for the best forks and then brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd ride both and see which you like. If the 29er has an inferior rear mech, and you much prefer it then I'd go for it. Likewise if the 26" wheeled one has better wheels, frame and forks and you prefer that, I'd buy that!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Without knowing what bikes you are after, and with this being the internet. I would have to say with 100% certainty, go for the 26".
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Without knowing what bikes you are after, and with this being the internet. I would have to say with 100% certainty, go for the 26".

Then again, if it was me I'd just get a higher spec 29er or ride each one, decide what you like and don't give a about what people on the internet say.
  • cooldad
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    Without knowing what bikes you are after, and with this being the internet. I would have to say with 100% certainty, go for the 26".

Then again, if it was me I'd just get a higher spec 29er or ride each one, decide what you like and don't give a about what people on the internet say.
    Irony anyone?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • So both bikes are used and owned by friends, so I should definitely be able to arrange test rides. For a little more info both are Specialized Hardrocks. The 26er has full Sram X7 kit, while the 29er has Shimano Tourney and Altus mixed parts. The 26er also has hyrdaulic disc brakes, while the 29er has mechanical disc brakes. Both have Suntour forks, but I'm not certain which model, stock forks though I think.
  • cooldad
    What model forks though, there are bad Suntours, good Suntours and dire Suntours.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Just to add to the mix, there are better bikes than hardrocks out there for the same money, don't get stuck on brand image.

What's your budget?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I have a 26 and a 29 hardrock both cost around £500, The 26 has better drive train, but the 29 rolls faster and is a smoother ride due to the bigger wheels. As most bike manufacturers now focus on the 29 wheel it may be the better bet in the long term.
  • Medium spec 650b?
  • I have the 2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29er. It cost me £600 and is better spec than the Hardrock. I've had it 2 months now and have done about 500 miles on it including a few runs on the red routes at Thetford Forrest and a week in the Yorkshire Dales. I've had no problems with it and I love it. Like you, I had a budget of £500 but I tried the Rockhopper and decided to stretch the budget as much as I could to buy it. I'm glad I did.
  • Cubist
    Cubist Posts: 73
    cooldad wrote:
    The frame is probably the least important decision, especially if you are on a budget and not planning to upgrade. Most frames are ok, so go for the best forks and then brakes.

Im certainly not here to argue against your obvious experience, but surely, in terms of fit, comfort and geometry, frame choice is (putting it mildly) reasonably important. I actually returned my bike to the shop for a swap purely on the basis of how it rode and suited my body shape and riding style.
  • cooldad
    The point was not over fit, but frame. Assuming the bike fits, an average frame with good forks will ride better than a good frame with rubbish forks. Most frames, disregarding the Apollo style stuff, are competent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools