frozen toes

pearceygy
pearceygy Posts: 56
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Anyone got any advice on how to keep toes warm?
I wore my new bike shoes saturday (lake cx160) I was out about 3 hours and when I got back my toes where absolutley freezing an I was in a fair bit of pain for the next hour whilst they thawed out. Today I wore two pairs of socks, went out for 2 hours came back same result toes blue and ready to fall off.
Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I always wear overshoes at this time of year, wet or dry. There is no pain quite like jumping in a hot shower with frozen toes!
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    It isn't nice when they feel like that, I've been there. If there are any holes or vents in the shoes tape them up with Gaffa tape, I have some Shimano shoes that have holes in the sole for ventilation but it's no good in winter so I tape them. Also, a good pair of winter overshoes should help take the chill off. If you want spend more then you can get winter shoes but it's a lot of expense.

Something else you can do is just keep wriggling your toes to keep the blood flow pumping.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • Good socks are always good, look at defeet wollie boolies (cant remember spelling sorry) they get good reviews i have several pairs i wear alot! sealskins socks are wind and water proof and are also a good thing to look at however your best and most cheap option to look at assuming your using the correct type of socks is to invest in some neoprene overshoes, well worth having. waterproof windproof and keeps your shoes in a nicer condition for summer. in the mean time though you might find taping up the vents a good option do it properly and tap the inside of the shoe or just do the outside it doesnt really matter depends on how swish you want to look.

hope that helps
    Ben
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    simona75 wrote:
    I always wear overshoes at this time of year, wet or dry. There is no pain quite like jumping in a hot shower with frozen toes!
    +1, every time. Bike shoes are designed to be vented and flow air through. Handy in summer, not so great now. Either toe covers or, better, overshoes. Solves that problem.
  • Thanks for the quick replies guys, it seems overshoes are the way forward 'll get some on order. cheers!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I also find it better to use a lower gear than you might already. Spinning my legs faster seems to keep me warmer than using a big gear - but that might just be my imagination.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Great idea taping up the venting up with gaffa as a help in the winter. I have some pretty cheap overshoes but still get numb toes after an hour or two. I'm getting the gaffa tape out before my next ride.
  • Stueys wrote:
    simona75 wrote:
    +1, every time. Bike shoes are designed to be vented and flow air through. Handy in summer, not so great now. Either toe covers or, better, overshoes. Solves that problem.

or get shoes with out vents do tend to be fairly pricey but watching friends with overshoes probably worth it. I have a SS so i have flats and use toasty warm light walking boots.
  • SealSkinz. Jobs a gooden.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Just get a decent pait of winter shoes.
    I dont see point of paying £200 for sidi road shoes then wearing overshoes which dont protect them fully and still get coold. I boutgh shimano winter shoes which have goretx lining , and waterproof, and warm.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    If you are willing to splash out on winter boot then they are well worth it IMHO - I was lucky and got Diadora Chilli winter boots last winter and they are so much better than road shoes at keeping feet warm, even when you've got overshoes on these. Also make sure your shoes are not restrictive - my boots are prob a good 1/2 size large but they don't feel loose as such just that there is a nice big airspace around the foot and I'm sure that also has helped - example, today, left house where the outside temp was not much more than +1, 65 minute cycle with thin socks on and boot with overshoes on the top - not a hint of chilly toes.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Also, if you're wearing two pairs of socks, it's possible that your foot could be too tight in the shoe. You need air trapped between the layers to keep things warm. if your foot feels tight and rammed into the shoe - loose a pair of the socks or go for thinner ones.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    I have a spare unused pair of Briko toe covers you can have for £6.50
    I used to suffer terribly with numb toes,tried countless things-now wear a pair of shoes half a size too big with silk sock liners/pair of Assos Fugu socksand a pair of Mavic thermal overshoes.....toasty feet.
    Also worth checking your cleat position-could be squashing a nerve in you big toe causing numbness.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    For cooler conditions, Craft toe covers are great.
    For cold conditions, shoe covers area must.
    If you're a regular commuter or train during the week then its probably worth investing in some winter shoes. I've been commuting using summer shoes with taped vents and shoe covers for 4 years. This winter I've switched to some Northwave Farenheit GTX boots and they are simply awesome. Coupled with Da Feet Woolie Boolie's they significantly warmer than the above. I got mine from Wiggle when they had £40 off a £200 clothes/shoes order. Bike-Discount.de usually have some good deals on these or the Sidi equivalents too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You don't want just shoes with air holes for ventilation which will let in cold air, you need winter boots, with more covering for the feet and heels, one size larger than normal, which creates 'warm air space' . Couple that with decent socks, such as the excellent woolie boolies or otherwise, and you feet will stay warm. Perhaps your existing shoes are too tight anyway? Overshoes? I prefer oversocks personally.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The warmest socks so far ?I have found (Iand I have bought a faair few) is the Llidl ski socks!

I have overshoes - to be honest even thin ones are enough at this time of year - I also have a set of thick neoprean ones but rarely use them

The main problem I have with overshoes is they look sooo gaey!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    For cooler conditions, Craft toe covers are great.
    For cold conditions, shoe covers area must.
    If you're a regular commuter or train during the week then its probably worth investing in some winter shoes. I've been commuting using summer shoes with taped vents and shoe covers for 4 years. This winter I've switched to some Northwave Farenheit GTX boots and they are simply awesome. Coupled with Da Feet Woolie Boolie's they significantly warmer than the above. I got mine from Wiggle when they had £40 off a £200 clothes/shoes order. Bike-Discount.de usually have some good deals on these or the Sidi equivalents too.

All of this. I ride the same boots with merino socks and covers. Kept me warm and toasty over the weekend during a 200km audax that included rain, snow, hail and generally cold unpleasant weather.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • This was my first weekend with boot covers and a skull cap under my helmet. What a difference! I was "warmer" when I got back despite the Garmin saying an average of 4c outside over 60 minutes.

A great investment.