Who's SKINS?

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited November 2012 in Pro race
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    An Australian manufacturer of compression garments.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    An Australian manufacturer of compression garments.

Think they might be a bit tight round the neck. Only reason I can think of for them thinking cycling was clean was that they had a constricted blood supply to the brain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They won't win.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    What a bandwagon BS suit. We've had the publicity, the good times, and since the UCI are down we'll kick them and try to get the money back. Cycling may have been a lot worse off for the Armstrong years, but there's no doubt in my mind that the whole story raised cycling's profile and the sponsors got value for money. As for a sponsor if they're involved enough to invest, they ought to be clued up enough to realise the real situation. They thought it was clean, and presumably that Santa brought the Christmas presents too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's just a way for a smaller firm to get a bit of profile and ride the wave. All the yellow wristband cutters can all get over-excited and wear their anti-doping skins kit.

:roll:

They're probably get some brown wristbands to support their anti-UCI cause. (Guess what I've been watching?)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    It's just a way for a smaller firm to get a bit of profile and ride the wave. All the yellow wristband cutters can all get over-excited and wear their anti-doping skins kit.

:roll:

They're probably get some brown wristbands to support their anti-UCI cause. (Guess what I've been watching?)

You seem to be in a downward spiral of cynicism and misanthropy Rick. Too much South Park can do that to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Given that Skins introduced the compression sock to cycling, should the UCI counter sue for bringing the sport into disrepute?

compression-600x395.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Calf-skins - f***ing abomination. I thought the scientific conclusion for wearing tight lycra was that it made naff-all difference to performance (but it does make you look a complete dork!)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    someone needs to see SKINS for violation of trade descriptions act

this is nothing more than publicity for the cost of the lawyer to file the claim - and Kimmage's lawyer at that. Maybe he's doing a 2-for-1 deal

I'm no legal beagle but this has frivolous claim written all over it
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    No one else struggling with the thread title?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • In taking on the UCI it's: to the fore SKINS. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    LangerDan wrote:
    Given that Skins introduced the compression sock to cycling, should the UCI counter sue for bringing the sport into disrepute?

compression-600x395.jpg
    I expect French Fighter is preparing a countersuit on the basis of damage to his retinas and sense of taste.

This is a publicity stunt, pure and simple. How much did that letter and submitting the suit cost? A few thousand? The publicity they'll get in the run up to Christmas will be worth far more. I'd never heard of them before today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I like it, sponsor backlash specifically against pat and hein, hopefully other, more prominent sponsors will do the same. They won't win obviously, but it's more pressure on Stadtler and waldorf.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Skins are a pretty big company in the world of sports clothing though. I think they must be antipodean, but they sponsor the Aussie rugby union side, I think they sponsor Rory Mcilroy. Hang on...

http://www.skins.net/en-GB/whos_wearing ... tners.aspx

I would have thought that most of the posters on here would have liked this action. Yes, very little chance of success, but it is a real poke in the eye for the UCI - if their sponsors are turning on them to this extent.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know them from triathlon - but I didnt know they did bike stuff. Neat way to let us all know though ?

I wonder if its a clever trick to stop the UCI banning compression kit ?

"aah you're only doing that cos we tried to sue you"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I am now going to start the FrenchFighter Defence Fund to sue SKINS.

I have not asked FF if he wants defending, but I know his views on black socks and long socks. Therefore I am setting up the fund. Please PM me your bank details. If you are not with us you are against us.

If like Kimmage, the case gets dropped I will be sure to make the money available to a completely different legal case of FF's choosing - maybe the beatificatrion of Bertie.

(this isn't personal FF - it's just you hate those socks than most, so your name works for my point)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The strange thing is that the UCI banned compression wear during races a few years back, so its not like Skins clothes ever get on the tv anyway unless they re on a team documentary or something.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The UCI didn't force SKINS into manufacturing cycling clothing. Surely it's their own fault for not carrying out sufficient market research.
  • ddraver wrote:
    The strange thing is that the UCI banned compression wear during races a few years back, so its not like Skins clothes ever get on the tv anyway unless they re on a team documentary or something.....

Yes, I think you are right. I was trying to find the regs on the UCI website but they only have the clothing stuff in the frence version on line at the moment. I think this is as much to do with the long running battle Skins have been having with UCI over use of compression gear during races than anythig to do with the current "big issue".

No big fan of UCI as people might guess, but I won't be cheering on Skins either. They would have everyone in long black socks and arm wear al la triathers on a sportive if they get there way.
  • Just came on to this thread for the first time. Lots of lols.

I like your thinking Rich about the idea of it being a publicity stunt. If so, that is an interesting angle for them to take. Win-win situation (win and make $2m + publicity, lose and get publicity).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    oneof1982 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I think you are right. I was trying to find the regs on the UCI website but they only have the clothing stuff in the frence version on line at the moment. I think this is as much to do with the long running battle Skins have been having with UCI over use of compression gear during races than anythig to do with the current "big issue".

No big fan of UCI as people might guess, but I won't be cheering on Skins either. They would have everyone in long black socks and arm wear al la triathers on a sportive if they get there way.

You can't wear it in UCI sanctioned races but Normos like us can wear it when ever we want. Have to say I ve fancied some of the shorts for a while...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    No one else struggling with the thread title?

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks it should be "Who are SKINS?"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    No, you're not...

Linguistic pedants of the world unite! :lol: