My new Canyon CF SLX

bickers
bickers Posts: 68
edited March 2013 in Your road bikes
Forgive the wang pedals im awaiting the new ones :)

IMG_0853.jpg

...now to ruin it by putting Crud Road Racers on it and riding it through the winter :)

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    if your riding through the winter I hope to god you got some training wheels :lol:

looks top....shame to get it all dirty !
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Lovely, may be worth getting black bartape and saddle for the next few months
  • The Cruds will blend in nicely with your colour scheme Lovely bike btw :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Starting to get really tempted by these Canyons, really good spec for the money and they do them with Campag! Did you use the sizing software on their website or have you had a ride of another one to get the size?
  • beautiful and lovely wheels as said before get some ksyriums for winter (or fulcrums in your case)
    really want one as my next bike. enjoy that you will.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I hope to god your kidding about putting mudguards on this bike.....What is up with some of you people ! havent you heard of a winter bike. Once the salt starts hitting the road there is NO WAY you should be out on your best bike. The salt gets in ALL places. You spend £2k plus on your good bike for as little as £500 you could get a winter hack.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I hope to god your kidding about putting mudguards on this bike.....What is up with some of you people ! havent you heard of a winter bike. Once the salt starts hitting the road there is NO WAY you should be out on your best bike. The salt gets in ALL places. You spend £2k plus on your good bike for as little as £500 you could get a winter hack.

Bikes are there to be ridden, get over it.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    lef wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Bikes are there to be ridden, get over it.

Then you can have another :lol:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Had the winter use discussion on another thread already which revealed similar marmite like opinions.

Basically I have no choice and no real desire to own a "winter bike". I have no room for another bike, my two bikes live in the cupboard under the stairs the other bike being an mtb. The thought of spending another £500 to not use my expensive bike doesn't make sense to me. I am unlikely to cover epic distances on salty roads over the winter and I will be picking my rides fairly carefully. I will probably pick up some cheap wheels given the cost of these ones and the rim surface.

If its a total sh**fest out on the road then out come the MTB.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Starting to get really tempted by these Canyons, really good spec for the money and they do them with Campag! Did you use the sizing software on their website or have you had a ride of another one to get the size?

I did use it but it only said "get the 58" which was what i was going to order anyway. You can rely on the 30 day return if you get the sizing wrong.

Not got the set up right yet but the bars felt narrow on the first ride but i'll do a few more rides first see if its just the geometry/ride tricking me, its a fair bit different to the Trek 2.1 this replaces so might need to get used to it! Im 6ft 2in with longish arms and the frame feels pretty much spot on although i can only compare to my old bike and the Madone 4.9 i tried. This feels totally different and not just in size, its much more nimble especially out of the saddle so a fair amount of adjustment for me to make.
  • Paul V8 - I am 6ft and ordered a 56. with an inside leg of only 31 I think I could have ordered a 54 and still be happy with the sizing. Canyon allow you to specify the stem length and also exchange it for a shorter or longer model within the first 30 days. I have always said that it depends what you want to achieve. Racing - maybe the 54 would have been a better option due to shorter wheelbase and more rigid frame. Sportive - The bigger frame is more comfortable and very stable going downhill.

I have ridden a few bikes over the last three year and don't believe that you can match it for the money. Although it doesn't complete on overall looks with some super frames.
  • Paul 8v
    Cool, sounds like a pretty good service that you can swap the stems etc.

PS as people are talking about it above, does the salt really melt carbon or is this some urban cycling myth thing?
  • Its metal it will wear/corrode - particularly the chain and cogs and if its really wet it will get in your bearings on hubs etc. Just need to choose your rides a bit more carefully and maintain more frequently.

Or ride a mountain bike :)
  • Paul 8v
    Oh yeah I know about the metals, I just mean this thing about carbon melting!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer! Not even an armchair one!

Not sure precisely whether it would 'melt' and i should imagine the conditions for such an eventuality would involve full submersion, for an extended period of time, concentrated salt solution and bare carbon fibres. Even then i can't imagine it would melt inasmuch as to become a liquid. I'm not an engineer though. I do have a friend who is a composites engineer and the only time he's expressed concern about carbon degrading is with powerful degreasers - the kind that would dissolve the protective clear-coat in any case. I think UV light is a bigger fear hence the need for a protective clear coat.

In the context of bikes and salt off the roads - it simply wouldn't happen. It's a non-issue. Myth.

Can you imagine, if it was an issue, it would be all over the internet by now...
  • Lovely looking bike.

I was going to order the same but I was slightly put off because I have never seen one in the flesh; so to speak.

The wheels look like a good bit of kit.

I've ended up ordering a 2013 Wilier Cento Uno sr. Not nearly as well spec'd but hopefully a pretty good bike.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Paul 8v
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer! Not even an armchair one!

Not sure precisely whether it would 'melt' and i should imagine the conditions for such an eventuality would involve full submersion, for an extended period of time, concentrated salt solution and bare carbon fibres. Even then i can't imagine it would melt inasmuch as to become a liquid. I'm not an engineer though. I do have a friend who is a composites engineer and the only time he's expressed concern about carbon degrading is with powerful degreasers - the kind that would dissolve the protective clear-coat in any case. I think UV light is a bigger fear hence the need for a protective clear coat.

In the context of bikes and salt off the roads - it simply wouldn't happen. It's a non-issue. Myth.

Can you imagine, if it was an issue, it would be all over the internet by now...

Thanks, it's something I've seen loads of people put on here, must be an in joke :mrgreen:
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Oh, it's no joke. This is part of the elaborate 'in' double bluff. If you ride carbon, it will melt. It's just a matter of time...
  • Paul 8v
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Oh, it's no joke. This is part of the elaborate 'in' double bluff. If you ride carbon, it will melt. It's just a matter of time...
    Bad times :mrgreen:
  • So what are the R-Sys wheels like to ride?
  • So what are the R-Sys wheels like to ride?

Their Ksyrium SLRs rather than Rsys although i dont think there is a massive difference.

Hard to judge as ive only done a small ride and the whole thing feels different. The brake blocks were in really close and even when lugging my 86KG+ up hills out of the saddle they didnt seem to be flexing at all. The rear wheel+tyre+cassette is insanely light
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Its beautiful in white. Some people prefer the stealth look but white is a great colour nonetheless. It makes sure you clean your bike often :-)
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That bike is stunning. This is a prime example of how good Campag looks on an all-white bike. The other is of course Nibali's new Specialized. Campag and deep white paint is pure sex. Don't know why but who cares, it just works.

Forget the salt water and carbon. It might get to your bearings but be sure to wash the bike with a hose and spray lube RIGHT after bathing it. It'll be fine.

Sailboats have had carbon masts/booms/spinnaker poles for 20 years without corrosion issues. The boat I sail is 14 years old still with the original mast and boom. No issues. People talk out of their asses a lot so just ignore.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Gabbo wrote:
    Its beautiful in white. Some people prefer the stealth look but white is a great colour nonetheless. It makes sure you clean your bike often :-)

Agreed, all these stealth builds are boring as ass. You dont even know what make they are unless they are parked up outside a cafe which is where you find most of them lol.I Like Canyon though, although by the looks of things they are gonna be like Cervelo soon and be the Vauxhall of road bikes.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    sweet as a nut. The wheels set off the white frame nicely.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    They will be the vauxhall of the bike world once they get other companies to distribute their bikes. Though these bikes seem to be everywhere on BR, and Specialize are everywhere on the road.

The stealth look certainly get's a bit boring nowadays.