How much can one screw up a wheel build?

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all

I have am old set of wheels with some more than servicable Hope Pro II hubs. I was thinking of building them up onto something useful but I have none of the kit to do this. If I get some decent rims, something I would actually use, could I screw them up hopelessly if I make a pigs ear of the build, could I.still give.them to the LBS to.finish.off?.or.am.I better starting off with.a rubbish rim?

Thanks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    better of giving them to the wheel builder in the first place.

buy a £10 wheel to strip and rebuild.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I built up my first wheelpair in about 15yrs last week by following the Wheelpro book. It took about 3hrs of methodical work (including stipping the old wheels) and I've had a couple of rides with them now and they turned out really well. The best bit of advice in the book is roughly that a rim starts life pretty round and true and your main aim is just to keep it that way through evenly tensioning the spokes. With that said, apart from getting to feel a little warm and fuzzy when I ride them, I'm not sure that I'd do it again rather than just lacing them and handing off to the LBS, which is what I've done before.
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    I had build a wheel (36holes) last year and took around 2 to 3 hours to build it and tight all the spoke. Also tried wheel truing and to some extend it was successful but I was just not able to make the wheel perfect circle and I had to take the wheel to the mechanic to get it done.

Wheel building is time consuming but it is also quite fun to build your own wheel.
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • ddraver wrote:
    I have am old set of wheels with some more than servicable Hope Pro II hubs. I was thinking of building them up onto something useful but I have none of the kit to do this. If I get some decent rims, something I would actually use, could I screw them up hopelessly if I make a pigs ear of the build, could I.still give.them to the LBS to.finish.off?.or.am.I better starting off with.a rubbish rim?

Generally I've found:

more expensive rims tend to be more true and make an easier build
    heavier rims tend to be easier to build

you're not going to make *such* a mess of it that a shop couldn't fix it, although if its really bad they might need to start again, but I can't see that you'd damage anything.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, interesting - doing some pricing, if we say Stans Rims plus 40 odd squids for spokes (I think) were looking at near 150 already

Plus a jig and a dishing tool for 100 makes it 250....Hmm, starting to agree with nick here,

What do you use to get the hubs out of the old wheels, do you have to undo all of the spokes or is there an easier (albeit more destructive) way?
    - @ddraver
  • nicklouse
    it depends on why?

keeping the rim then un build it. binning the rim then some heavy duty wire cutters. (small bolt cutters).

if you want a good build get some one else to do it dont try it on your first build.

my first build had to be rebuilt by a shop. (ok i did not read anything first and just guessed).

read seldons pages download Munsons build book and then have a go on some spare wheels or get a cheap one to play with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I was going to build my own wheels as there is much encouragement and reassurance out there but when it came to pricing the spec I wanted it was cheaper to get them custom built than buy the parts separate and have a crack myself so ordered them through justridingalong.com

Having said that I still want to have a go at it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To get the hub out fast, just cut the spokes with a side cutter.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ddraver
    hmm, you re putting me off this - especially with some of the offers on Superstar at t mo! Kind of depends how much I'd use a wheel stand anyway - prob not much, but might still be cheaper than the bike shop...ho hum...

Thanks Guys
    - @ddraver
  • Hi

you can't really do any damage but you can spend a lot of time building wheels. The economics make no sense but it is lovely to ride your own wheels and you will learn a huge amount about how to true your own wheels in future. I have only built two front wheels as a complete beginner, it just took patience to get them true, no special skills. Rear wheel dishing looks much more complex.

I have been able to fix all rim wobbles myself since learning how to build a wheel.

Highly recommended for wet afternoons and satisfaction.

Absolutely not recommended to save money or time.

Regards

Alan
  • PS If the OP can get new identical rims then just tape this to the existing wheel (matching valve holes), remove rim tape, and swap spokes over single. Cost you a rim, a spoke key and a truing stand or just true in frame using brake pads to centre rim.
  • nicklouse
    ddraver wrote:
    hmm, you re putting me off this - especially with some of the offers on Superstar at t mo! Kind of depends how much I'd use a wheel stand anyway - prob not much, but might still be cheaper than the bike shop...ho hum...

Thanks Guys
    get the wheels and play on something else until you are confident.

simples.
  • M Velo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOI3uBztvHc
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You can always use such videos for reference.

Even I made some mistakes while building a wheel. But I dont think that you can exactly damage the spoke and the rim while building a wheel. It is just that, if you make mistakes in the middle of the process of building the wheel, then you might get confused and want to start the whole process once again. But the process of lacing the spoke becomes easier after some practice.

You might get frustrated in the first attempt to build wheel but as you keep on trying, the process becomes easier.
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • let me know if you buy some complete wheels from superstar, and want to sell the hopes :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    ddraver wrote:

Plus a jig and a dishing tool for 100 makes it 250....Hmm, starting to agree with nick here,

You can use a bike frame as a jig or you can make a jig for a few quid, mine cost me about £3 for some bolts and a free bit of off cut 20mm MDF. You can make a dishing jig out of an old spoke and a piece of thin MDF or a piece of stiff cardboard. I would reccomend buying and downloading Roger Mussons whelbuilding book he is a bit of an odd bod but is the boss when it comes to wheelbuilding.

It makes no sense economically but its very satisfying to build and ride a wheel.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ddraver
    stubs wrote:
    It makes no sense economically but its very satisfying to build and ride a wheel.

Hah! I think that's a perfect summary of the thread!
    - @ddraver
  • That it does.

It is like someone saying to you - there's a bag of bits, not one of them are screwed together. Hows about you build it into a bike. Me "OK then" off you go and build a bike - nice to know you can.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Maninder wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOI3uBztvHc
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You can always use such videos for reference.

Even I made some mistakes while building a wheel. But I dont think that you can exactly damage the spoke and the rim while building a wheel. It is just that, if you make mistakes in the middle of the process of building the wheel, then you might get confused and want to start the whole process once again. But the process of lacing the spoke becomes easier after some practice.

You might get frustrated in the first attempt to build wheel but as you keep on trying, the process becomes easier.

Cheers for that link, enjoyed watching them. I want to build a wheel now. Where do I get those glasses? :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • M Velo
    scale20 wrote:
    Where do I get those glasses? :lol:

Lol you dont need them to build your wheel. :)
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    They are good to keep nipples out of your eye though :lol:

After watching those vids and others on the tube I fancy giving it a go. I want to get some new wheels for my next build, might give building them a go.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • M Velo
    You can always use your oakley or any other glasses to protect your eyes. That might look even more cool 8) . lol

I have build a 36 holes wheel last year and I dint need glasses to build my wheel. :)
    Custom build Trek MTB
  • ddraver
    Thanks Boys, Think I ll give Nick's idea a go, I actually have an old road wheel that is totalled at the rim, and I could build up into a Turbo Trainer wheel or something...Will have a think.
    - @ddraver
  • nicklouse
    ddraver wrote:
    Thanks Boys, Think I ll give Nick's idea a go, I actually have an old road wheel that is totalled at the rim, and I could build up into a Turbo Trainer wheel or something...Will have a think.
    it is the best way. once you have laced it in a new rim pop it into your LBS and ask then to check you are ok as far as you are. if all is good get tensioning.

the main thing about the first build is not to have any plan or need for it to be done.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Completely agree with Nick.

Have a play rebuilding an old one a few times and see how you get on. It will probably never be cheaper to build a wheel yourself; but I find it quite therapeutic and the end result is very satisfying (if you're the DIY type.)

I follow the guides on bikeradar (were originally in MBUK) and as long as you take your time and double check everything you'll be fine.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • I was asking my self the same question. I decided to give it a try. I build it my self and it works fine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCloMziaCk&list=UUfSg9aN0OZd3imEQbDugC3g&index=5&feature=plcp
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    This is something I will attempt next year. I think I can have fun and it will be rewarding to ride wheels built by your truly :D

I have two sets of wheels that could do with a rebuild and that makes a good starting point.

There are some really good videos on how to carry out the job out there. I also read the book from Roger Mussons and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with it so I think the videos I watched make sense to me and that is what I will follow.