Wheel Strenght HT vs FS

paul380
paul380 Posts: 26
edited November 2012 in MTB general
I have an 08 commencal Meta which is currently running Stans Crest rims. I chose them mainly for weight saving (superstar build 1650g the pair). They have taken everything I can throw at them and remain true, really impressed with them.

I intent to build a hartail for the winter and transfer all the parts from my Meta over to it. The question is will the reduced bounce in the frame put a much greater stress on the wheels from drops/jumps? I suspect it probably will so may go for a Stans Flow wheelset but just interested in peoples opininons.

New frame will likely be a Carbon 456.

Riding is mainly trail centres black/red.

Cheers.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    paul380 wrote:
    The question is will the reduced bounce in the frame put a much greater stress on the wheels from drops/jumps?
    Yes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Strength is mainly in the quality of the build.
    I use Mavic EX719 rims on Superstar hubs on my hardtail which is mainly used for trail/XC riding though I have also used it for a few downhill races and they are still dead true despite some badly cased landings with a 16 stone lump on board.
    Crests should be more than up to the job, they are nearly as strong as EX719's and Superstar's builds are generally excellent.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    For trail centres, is say the Arch EX is your friend...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Your legs will do the work of the suspension, and you'll probably have to slow down for rockier lines where your legs can't absorb so much. I find the energy from impacts into the rear wheel will be about the same because you compensate with the way you ride. So... I wouldn't feel the need for a stronger back wheel. But if you're expecting to hit the same stuff at the same speed then yes :) Flows are great, I use them for DH but they're still a decent weight.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Crests are good for what they are, but they're still a relatively lightweight rim. What that tends to translate into is that they're totally fit for purpose, but you start to lose safety margins, so you're more likely to dent or damage them if you flat, and more likely to bend them if you crash. And hardtails naturally have less safety margin than full suss- clout the wheel on a rock or land a jump squint and the wheel's got nowhere to go.

But if they're a good build then they should still be reliable, I'd be inclined to stick with them- I'd maybe choose something stronger if you didn't already have wheels, but I wouldn't change myself.

Flows are fantastic rims- lighter than Mavic's XC tubeless rims, strong like ox. Softer than some so they dent easier, but that's not the same as not being strong. Mine did 2 years on the trailbike, weeks in france, enduro and downhill races, then got retired onto the downhill bike and still spot on.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I think it really depends on what type of HT you're riding and what you intend to do with it. If you are going to ride the same terrain in the same manner that you do on your FS, then you will indeed put more strain on the wheels - especially when you get it wrong on a landing, rock garden etc.

If you're on a short travel race orientated hard tail, I would probably go for another set of Crests on Superstar. I've been running them on my hardtail for a year or so and have bashed the hell out of them. Save for a couple of loose spokes that needed tensioning, they have been very durable.

To give you an indication - I am 14 stone and have them on a 100mm HT. They've been ragged on descents, unintentional drop to flat on the Brass Monkeys race last year (I now realise what the double down arrow means! :oops: )

If I were to ride somewhere as rocky as (say) Coed Y Brenin, I would probably opt for something a little more beefy.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have ridden Mavic XC717's, DT Swiss XR4.2D and Crossrides on my hardtail in all manner of places including rocky alpine trails and so on. I dont think I have ever worried they weren't up to the task.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Strength is mainly in the quality of the build.

qft
  • rockmonkeysc
    You do also need to consider tyre width when choosing rims. You won't want to be fitting 2.0" tyres on Stans Flows or 2.5" tyres on Crests, you won't get a good tyre profile.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Makes much less difference than people think- I've got a 2.5 on an olympic just now :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks for the replies.

For what its worth I have bontranger XR4's fitted (2.35 Front / 2.2 Rear). Both setup tubless and the sit ok on the crest rims.

I'm leaning towards just sticking with the crests and seeing how they go, if I break them then I'll turn to the Flows.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If they are well built they will be fine.