Wrong SPD pedals?

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, when I went clip less my LBS didn't really give me a choice he just said here you go you need these and fitted m520 spd pedals... Knowing nothing and never having an experience of clip less I just got on with them... But I've never really been happy with the feel beneath my feet.. I've looked around and seen the 540 spd sl pedals which look a. More like a road pedal and b. have a larger platform for my feet.. Now before I go and buy some today would they be a more suitable choice for my road bikes? Or is it just personal? I've already shelled out £60 on the other 2 pairs which look more suited to mountain bikes..... :?
I think it may have been a case of just selling me what was in stock rather than supplying me the correct option. Advice appreciated :D

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    #david2012 wrote:
    Hi all, when I went clip less my LBS didn't really give me a choice he just said here you go you need these and fitted m520 spd pedals... Knowing nothing and never having an experience of clip less I just got on with them... But I've never really been happy with the feel beneath my feet.. I've looked around and seen the 540 spd sl pedals which look a. More like a road pedal and b. have a larger platform for my feet.. Now before I go and buy some today would they be a more suitable choice for my road bikes? Or is it just personal? I've already shelled out £60 on the other 2 pairs which look more suited to mountain bikes..... :?
    I think it may have been a case of just selling me what was in stock rather than supplying me the correct option. Advice appreciated :D

It's personal, I use m520 pedals just fine. Don't think that because it doesn't have the road label it's no good, however what do you mean by you haven't got on with them? Is ther pain or difficulty clipping in etc?
  • Briggo initially i went clipless to ease knee pain in my right leg ( which has got better ) but yes clipping in can be a little tricky, and when I've unclipped approaching a junction etc there's so little beneath my shoe it' feels like its sliding everywhere plus I just don't feel there's enough pedal to push off from.... I guess being double sided is an advantage sometimes .. I've got £60 of halfrauds vouchers to use up was just going to try the others as a comparison after getting some thoughts from you guys. Thanks for your reply though!
  • Briggo
    Perhaps if you want to stick with spd's to save getting new shoes too could try the shimano m785
  • Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't my r077 shoes be compatable with the 540 cleats?
  • I have to agree with Briggo (love the pic BTW). SPD's and good if you're unclipping regularly and/or want to walk around more easily, so on that basis are a good choice regardless of what stable your steed come from.

If you feel the pedals are too small 'to push off from' then I would personally recommend going for either Shimano A520 pedals as they have a platform - a la their SPD SL pedals. I know what you mean in terms of clipping in as there is such a small contact area, I guess you either get used to it to not.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Briggo
    #david2012 wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't my r077 shoes be compatable with the 540 cleats?

Ah we'll you didn't mention that, yes they would.
  • :D Thanks again.
    I might give them a try then... A Least I'd have a choice and know for sure which I prefer!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think your shoes might have a small amout to do with it.

If you look at the sole of MTB specific shoes, they have a groove running down the middle where the cleat sits, recessed. This means its easier to guide your foot onto the cleat. I tried MTB cleats on R077s and nearly castrated myself several times as I missed the pedal.
    With MTB shoes, this was never the case. I would ask a mate if they have MTB shoes you can borrow - I reckon they would make a significant difference!
  • coriordan wrote:
    I think your shoes might have a small amout to do with it.

If you look at the sole of MTB specific shoes, they have a groove running down the middle where the cleat sits, recessed. This means its easier to guide your foot onto the cleat. I tried MTB cleats on R077s and nearly castrated myself several times as I missed the pedal.
    With MTB shoes, this was never the case. I would ask a mate if they have MTB shoes you can borrow - I reckon they would make a significant difference!

The first shoes I was offered with the pedals were very much a mountain bike style shoe with the recess which I personally didn't think looked the part with my shiny new road bike.... ( am I being to image conscious ) so I took back the MTB shoes but kept the pedals ... Maybe a mistake :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They don't look the part but do work better. You may find that the r540s are a bit easier to use with your road shoes as there is a much more specifid way to clip inimr a ski boots-toe then heel). If you shop around you can get them off the classifieds here or online for cheap with cleats.
  • #david2012 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    The first shoes I was offered with the pedals were very much a mountain bike style shoe with the recess which I personally didn't think looked the part with my shiny new road bike.... ( am I being to image conscious ) so I took back the MTB shoes but kept the pedals ... Maybe a mistake :?

Plenty of road cyclists use SPDs. You can even get SPD shoes that are styled after road shoes. They are very practical, which is a good reason to use them.

Personally, I'm quite happy wearing the MTB shoes that I have, just as I'm (very) happy riding my 'heavy' plain gauge steel bike with cheap wheels. Cyclists with fancy bikes and kit can judge me if they like, but they have to be quick, because I don't wait for them. ;)
  • Ok I think I'm getting it... I guess I was hoping that I'd just bought the wrong ones and I'd find the road pedals a little more suited to the cause. It may well be that having a bigger platform helps me and I'm happy to give them I try I think ... Only then will I know for sure. At my stage I think I can only dream of increasing performance without having some help from technology
  • They might give you a more positive feel, but 'performance gains' are generally reliant on your performance being as good as it can be, and it's all measured in time.

Eg. basic physics tells us that a lighter weight will go up a hill faster for a given level of power output than a heavier one; therefore supposing that Wiggins or Contador had a choice between two bikes with 2kg of weight difference between them, the couple of minutes that the lighter bike would save them might be consequential; whether in outcome or in saving them energy.

In this case it is as most marginal gains; 2 minutes might be important (if you're measuring them, or racing!) if your physical conditioning is good enough that your performance on a given course on separate days in similar conditions is within two minutes each time. Or rather, two minutes are irrelevant if you are struggling with ten.

Specifically regarding the differences between the pedals, it's not as simple as 'larger platform = better'. If that were true then you would be best off with clips and straps on rat traps (which are great, incidentally). The specific shoes and pedals in question, as well as the cleat positioning, are critically important.

But even better, if it makes riding your bike more enjoyable, consider it. The issue in this case is that road shoes are impractical, which is significant with consideration to the fact that the bicycle is a truly excellent mode of transport!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I use SPD-SL (Ultegra and 540) in summer as I prefer the slightly more positive feel but go to M520 and MTB shoes in winter for the ease of walking and clipping in on fixed. SPD cleats are lethal on road shoes ,a bit better when using pontoons with them but not much.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I have SPDs on my road bike as they are more practical for commuting. If I was mainly riding through country lanes without having to stop too much then I'd prob get SLs.
  • John.T
    InkZ wrote:
    I have SPDs on my road bike as they are more practical for commuting. If I was mainly riding through country lanes without having to stop too much then I'd prob get SLs.
    I do not find much difference clipping in and out with either style. Just mess it up a bit when I have not used them for a while. One reason for changing in winter. I only have to re-learn twice a year.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use M077's on 520's on both mtb and road bike and do fine. the M077 are the mtb version of R077
  • Critch
    Critch Posts: 60
    FWIW I'm using Shimano M324's single sided. I prefer MTB clipless to the road counterparts and in busy town traffic use the non-clip side which has a big enough platform to suit my size 11 feet. They are decent pedals.
  • But even better, if it makes riding your bike more enjoyable, consider it. The issue in this case is that road shoes are impractical, which is significant with consideration to the fact that the bicycle is a truly excellent mode of transport!

why are road shoes impractical?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • John.T
    But even better, if it makes riding your bike more enjoyable, consider it. The issue in this case is that road shoes are impractical, which is significant with consideration to the fact that the bicycle is a truly excellent mode of transport!

why are road shoes impractical?
    Not so much impractical but not good if you need to do any walking. They also do not work well with SPD pedals. Otherwise nothing wrong with them.