Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Post a reply

1 post • Page 1 of 1
Help with second bike choice
by Toe knee » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Good morning all ,
A couple of weeks ago I made the stupid decision to swap my first road bike, ( a c.b. echelon ) for a Merida matts 10 mountain bike because I was having concerns about my road safety when out on my bike, what a big mistake that was I have been out on it once, and have decided that the road bug is still very much with me,I am missing it so much, and been on this excellent road beginners forum. Anyway as I am back on here I would like your opinions please on two bikes I have narrowed my search down to.:-

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/clear ... -bike-2012.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bikes/road- ... -bike-2013

Thanks.
Before anyone says it yes I'm going to man up and get the €$¥k out there. :oops:

Comments

• Hi,

both links take me to the Tweeks home page?

No idea what you are looking to spend but 2012 CAAD 8 & 10 can be had for reduced prices at the moment and both are well regarded bikes.

If you fancy something in steel UK Cycle depot has Genesis Equilibrium 2012 models with shedloads off. Merlin are selling Dutch brand Sensa at great prices and the Romagna (I think) got a great review in C+ a while back.

Lastly - check the Road Bike sales on this forum - great bargains to be had there.

Happy shopping!
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Oops sorry about that, try and get the pictures up later, anyway the two bikes are,

1. Eddy Merckx amx-1. Tiagra 2012. £ 799

2. Cube peloton 2013. Sora £749.

Thanks for any advice
  • Sounds like you have picked a competetive price point!

I know sod all about either bike so can offer limited advice. IMHO buying a 2012 model will mean you get more bang for your buck. Any bike around the £800 mark will be a good beginners bike and fairly similar spec. - decent alu frame, fairly heavy wheelset and a lower end, but perfectly functional groupset.

FWIW Tiagra is 10speed and lends itself to upgrading to better components as stuff wears out as Shimano make 3 higher series of groupsets. Sora is 9 speed and works fine, 2013 Sora has done away with the hated thumbshifters but when it wears out you will have to replace it with Sora as Shimano only make the one 9sp groupset. I own 2 Sora equipped bikes and am happy with them but if there was no difference in price would try to get a 10sp bike if replacing.

Shop around, plenty of deals this time of year.
  • I don't know a great deal about bikes at this price, but, I do know that Sora is horrid. Those thumb shifters are really awkward to use. Can't believe Shimano still make them like that. My wife had a Sora equiped touring bike a couple of years ago. She only did 1000 miles on it before we sold it - largely because of the SORA shifters.

If you can possible afford it, go for Tiagra shifters which are 50 times better! They are also a more comfortable shape in your hand too, so should make your hands ache less.

If you buy a bike from someone like Ribble, you can spec the bike to what you want. Looks like you could have change from £800 and still have a Tiagra equipped bike with high quality 7000 series Aluminium.