been offered an orange sub zero.......

saxon46
saxon46 Posts: 15
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
As above been offered a sub zero off a mate at work.said he would let it go £300,time to upgrade from my gt aggressor 2 :shock:
02052012010.jpg
02052012011.jpg
he reckons he bought it 2008/09,said its got all the bells and whistles,good running order,my question is,firstly is it worth that sort of money or do you reckon I should knock him down a bit :wink: (said he paid £1500 when new)or would I be better off getting something new...I see wiggle are doing some deals at the mo.....or look out for a decent second hand bike....
if anyone knows of any deals at the moment or has any thing that they might be getting rid of..my budget is about £350...any pointers would be much appreciated :D:D:D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's not exactly an upgrade - it's a totally different sort of bike, heavy and chunky so it depends what you want to use it for.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ro-s-16789
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Why not upgrade your Aggressor?
  • its gonna be used for trail riding mainly and a bit of road work........my old gt has served me well,but I want something that is decent,has hydraulic brakes ,a decent front fork,hardtail,and a good make,I don't mind a new or a good used bike....I wanna use it mainly to get fit on over the winter,and I'm lucky enough to have a lot of trails around by me......any pointers...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New read this
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967

Used - millions out there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was thinking about upgrading my aggressor,it already has marzochi forks fitted,looking at putting on new wheels(want disks),fit some hydraulic disc brakes,but wouldn't it be more cost effective to pick up a good used bike with all the above fitted........as I said in previous post I'm looking to spend about £350
    my bike as it stands now....
    IMG_0039.jpg
  • mcnultycop
    Spending £350, say on one of the GTs on sale at Wiggle would get you a bike with Hydraulic Discs, but otherwise it wouldn't be a massive upgrade on what you have now. You can get a set of disc wheels for less than £100 and a pair of decent brakes for £90, then either save the rest of the cash or get an upgraded fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get the sub-zero at the right price, swap over the stuff you want, sell the rest in bits!

Personally I would say it's worth about £200-225
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    That model is definitely older than 2008, possibly 2006. Not worth the money, for you, as it isn't designed for your needs. Heavy as it is designed for going down rather than up.

If I were you, I'd save a bit more before looking.
  • That model is not 2008/09, I have a 2007 subzero which is a different frame/graphics. That bike is 2006 or older.

If you do want it, I'd haggle it down, £300 is a little high for it.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • thanks for the input boys.......much appreciated.........I think I'll pass on the orange( he won't budge on the price)...........so what I've decided to do is keep mine for the time being (look for something in the jan sales) and upgrade the old aggressor cos the frame is mint and I am quite fond of it, :lol: so what I'm looking for firstly is a set of wheels with discs,hydraulic brake setup,and a newer shock I suppose ebay would be first port of call?????............if you boys know of anything out there new or used could you let me know......ta
  • mcnultycop
    I've got a set of Shimano Disc Hubs (M475) with Bontrager rims I've taken off and replaced. I've done the rear bearings and freehub within the last 100km or so, but the front bearings do need doing. I was looking for about £35 for them, but I think postage would make them a bit expensive when you see what you can get new wheels for.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I may have a set of Avid Elixir 5 brakes for sale if your interested
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport