It's gonna be a cold 'un.

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Planning my first ride on the new steed tomorrow. No rain forecast as such but it's going to be very cold.

Minimum cycling gear at he moment so going to have to improvise.

Would wearing padded cycling shorts beneath a pair of tracky bottoms be a sensible option? Not planning a long run as I'm a cycling virgin when it comes to road bikes. I just want to take the bike out and get used to riding it, up and down the gears, on the drops, on the hoods etc.
Looking at doing around 5 or 6 miles.

Comments

• Planning my first ride on the new steed tomorrow. No rain forecast as such but it's going to be very cold.

Minimum cycling gear at he moment so going to have to improvise.

Would wearing padded cycling shorts beneath a pair of tracky bottoms be a sensible option? Not planning a long run as I'm a cycling virgin when it comes to road bikes. I just want to take the bike out and get used to riding it, up and down the gears, on the drops, on the hoods etc.
    Looking at doing around 5 or 6 miles.
    1. Don't refer to a bike as a steed. It has two round legs, not four spiky ones. It's an important difference.

2. For 5 miles, you don't even need the shorts under the trackies (assuming you haven't run out of paper).

As you can see, I've accumulated much wisdom in four short weeks as a roadie, as I think we experienced cyclists refer to ourselves. In another 4 weeks, I expect to have some more equally insightful advice to offer. I also expect my arse to have stopped hurting...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • My apologies for the incorrect terminology, forgive me for I have sinned.......... apparently! :oops:

Yeah, that's one of my main concerns, I've sat on blunter razor blades. I'm told it gets easier, the more you ride the bike. No, the reason I mentioned the shorts beneath the trackies was one of comfort from the saddle as well as wondering if it would keep the old gentleman's area insulated somewhat!!!
  • Firstly, tracky bottoms arn't really the best for cycling in, unless you want to wear trouser clips (or whatever they are called). Not a great look i'm sure you'll agree. Better off getting a pair of bibtights, or thermal cycling tights which are usually padded. Some like to wear unpadded tights & then bibshorts over the top.

Secondly, is cycling '5 or 6' miles really worth it? If you're gonna go out you may as well make it a worthy outing! If you wanna test the bike properly find a good bit of flat, a decent hill & some decent corners & give it a damn good thrashing.
  • My apologies for the incorrect terminology, forgive me for I have sinned.......... apparently! :oops:
    I read it somewhere. Don't worry, I have no actual knowledge of my own :)
    I'm told it gets easier, the more you ride the bike. No, the reason I mentioned the shorts beneath the trackies was one of comfort from the saddle as well as wondering if it would keep the old gentleman's area insulated somewhat!!!
    It does get easier, but I must admit, I'm starting to hanker after one of those saddles where the middle bit's been removed.

I did 30 miles today, and my neck ached at the end, which was a first. I think the ache is simply expressing its creativity - it's dissatisfied with where it started, and is just working its way round my body to the most annoying place it can find.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Stuuu
    Stuuu Posts: 46
    I haven't made it to wearing Lycra yet. I was quite happy wearing some casual summer shorts today. The first 5 minutes were a bit chilly but I soon warmed up with a t-shirt, fleece, cycling jacket and fleecy hat. If you keep your body warm, your legs will be fine.

I think I made it all through last winter with shorts on. (I don't recall having any trousers that wouldn't get wrapped around the pedals).
  • Trackies will have a seam right where you sit on the saddle, right on your soft bits.

Wear something designed for a bike and not something for walking in - and avoid underwear which will colect the sweat, crystallise into fine toothed grit and rub you raw.

Wear the right stuff and you'll be fine - there are reasons why nobody else wears what you suggest, for very long - rarely more than once after the rash and pain has subsided.

For 5-6 miles, just wear shorts - it'll keep you moving to keep warm.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    dont worry mate.get on yer steed with yer tracky bottoms and have some fun over 6 or so miles.Maybe if you enjoy yourself you can get some better gear as you go on but dont worry about it.There are no cycling clothing laws,i was time trialing in mountain bike baggy gear because its all i had at the time.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Stuuu wrote:
    I haven't made it to wearing Lycra yet. I was quite happy wearing some casual summer shorts today. The first 5 minutes were a bit chilly but I soon warmed up with a t-shirt, fleece, cycling jacket and fleecy hat. If you keep your body warm, your legs will be fine.

I think I made it all through last winter with shorts on. (I don't recall having any trousers that wouldn't get wrapped around the pedals).

worst advice ever.

Legs always come first. Keep your legs warm and your body will be fine.
  • Keep yourself nice and warm

Last year I had Ron Hill Bikester's over my cycling shorts and it was ok, but it's worth noting that they were a snug fit and didn't need cycle clips.

As others have said, riding for 6 miles is just getting going, so no real need to wear shorts.

Have fun
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Just watch out for your tracksuit bottoms getting caught on the chainrings. I tried wearing some over some shorts before I got some decent winter wear last year, and it caused no end of problems.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Just wear what you're comfortable wearing to start off with and go from there, many many....many moons ago when i started i wore ronhill tracksters and trainers, i couldn't afford to go out and spend hundreds on cycling gear, just get out on the bike and get used to it first.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Trackies will be OK for a short distance, wear the padded shorts under them. It's surprisingly easy to over-dress though, I've been out today with bib longs on (perfect), a T shirt and a softshell (wrong!). That was too hot for 7C, I'd have been more comfortable with a long sleeve thermal and a long sleeve jersey on.

Coming back from work tommorrow night at 3C will be a new low though!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I know this a beginner's forum, but don't believe that wearing lycra bike shorts over any form of legwear (except legwarmers) is a good look - save yourself the sartorial sniggers and keep your shorts next to your skin. Dont under-estimate the effect of wind - because your upper body isn't moving and yet takes the brunt of the wind, having a top with a windproof front is almost essential when the temperature gets into single digits and below. A simple nylon gilet with a mesh back is very versatile.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    don't believe that wearing lycra bike shorts over any form of legwear (except legwarmers) is a good look - save yourself the sartorial sniggers and keep your shorts next to your skin.

I did mate, the shorts were beneath the trackies. Felt a bit strange at first having never worn them before! Certainly comfortable though.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    invest in some entry level riding gear and don't be afraid of lycra, not having all that extra fabric flapping in the wind really does make a difference .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.