Ideal tyre pressure?

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Had a bit of shocker today with 3 falls. Bike didn't seem right - was feeling the bumps more than usual. I pumped up the tyres last week - can't remember what I pumped them up to but I remember it was higher than I normally would.

What would you guys suggest? Typically, I riding muddy trails with a fair few roots...

Comments

• Between 20 and 45 psi for off road
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the bike, tyres, rider, terrain, riding style. There is no ideal. Currently I have around 25 and 30, but was running 15 and 18 earlier in the week on soft, muddy ground - felt great to me but people kept on expecting them to pinch flat. And I'm chunky.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • think I was running closer to 40...
  • That's what I'd call hard
  • cooldad
    Very.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Around 30 is a typical starting point, some tyres are very crucial on pressures, others less so, my daughters had almsot no grip at all on Nobby Nics at 40psi at Cannock, dropped to 30 and they were much better (then I dropped them to 27 as she weighs less than me!)

You really should be noting pressures at ech ride and making sure you have a pressure that works, go up or down in about 3psi steps to see the changes, lower pressures and you risk a pinch flat unless you ride a fat bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers guys. haven't fallen for a while so 3 splashes on one ride was a bit odd even for me. I'll try around 30 and see how I go...
  • The Rookie
    Here he goes again....ignore, whatever works for you.....most people just have a grippier (width/compount/pattern) tyre on the front.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    You can actually run the front a bit softer because it has less weight on it, generally.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    What's the cheapest pump about with a pressure gauge? Mine has never worked so I just chuck anything in the tyres!
  • It's never worked because you seem to buy and want the cheapest!
  • concorde
    It's never worked because you seem to buy and want the cheapest!

Should still work, aldi does cheap, they work!
  • Very true. I have a pound shop pump in my bag. That works, just not very well. They also do a guage. So there you are, £2 and you're sorted. Or not.
  • concorde
    Very true. I have a pound shop pump in my bag. That works, just not very well. They also do a guage. So there you are, £2 and you're sorted. Or not.

My Argos one was a complete failure at £5. Buy cheap you buy twice they do say, but not always.
  • The Rookie
    So take it back?
  • concorde
    So take it back?

Couldn't be arsed. Should have really! Their website shows the pump as having shocking reviews. They're still selling it though, this was over 2 years ago!
  • i run approx 40-50 psi on hard standing 30- 40 when muddy.
  • cooldad
    Which is really high
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • you reckon i should drop it a touch
  • I'm 98kg and tend to run my tyres (WTB Mutano 2.2 in the summer, Bontrager Mud X 2.0 in the winter) at between 35 and 40 psi. I'm always pinch flatting the Mutanos if I go lower (120 sidewalls and tubes, yes I know I should run them tubeless).

I just got back from a month in Canada and it was interesting to find that they tended to run their tyres hard. The attitude from everyone was that the tyre design and compound would work if ridden properly and they were wasting time and effort trying to find out how low they could go with pressures.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends on the bike, tyres, rider, terrain, riding style. There is no ideal. Currently I have around 25 and 30, but was running 15 and 18 earlier in the week on soft, muddy ground - felt great to me but people kept on expecting them to pinch flat. And I'm chunky.

It's personal - what I do^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • best drop it a bit works for me at the minute
  • I usually start at 30psi and drop it a little if I'm bouncing all over the place. I've read a lot that says you should go as low as possible for grip (whilst not pinch flatting) but obviously you lose a ton of efficiency then... and as a fat bastard I need all that efficiency so as not to die going up hills.

Maybe someone will design auto adjusting tyre pressure systems.
  • What do you guys use to check the tyre pressure? I'm new to this btw.

You can learn how to find a girlfriend and what attracts women to men if you're like most guys who want to have a girlfriend.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    cavembr wrote:
    What do you guys use to check the tyre pressure? I'm new to this btw.

This.

Small- and light-enough to live in my pack alongside my minipump(which doesn't have a gauge built-in). Works well - accurate and reliable and almost no air loss when used.
  • Thanks, jimothy :) That's really nice and just the right size.
  • Depends on various factors but between approx 40-50 psi.
  • cooldad
    cavembr wrote:
    What do you guys use to check the tyre pressure? I'm new to this btw.

http://attractwomenbooks.com/find-a-girlfriend/
    http://attractwomenbooks.com/what-attra ... en-to-men/
    A track pump.
    Why do you have hidden spam in your sig?
    Now unhidden.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools