Fork lube

Murphybarnes
Murphybarnes Posts: 68
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Just getting back into MTBs after a lengthy absence. Was all rigid forks in my day. About to collect my new Voodoo Hoodoo soon and was wondering about fork maintenance. Is fork lube reccomended? If so, any particular product?
Voodoo Hoodoo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the same oil or grease that is in the fork.

what is the fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's a Suntour Raidon X. Just that I saw some lube advertised that you spray on the stanchions......nicknamed 'butter' as the effect is as it suggests.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I smear a dab of Fox Float Fluid after washing and pump them a few times. Mainly because there's always some lying around.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I use Brunox Exterior Fork Lubricant. As CD says a couple of drops after cleaning the stanchions and pump, wipe, pump, wipe. I also use it on my Reverb dropper post
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Good advice. Prompt too. I'm sure the flow of my stanchions will be the least of my problems what with all the kit on the bike that is relatively baffling to me since I last rode an MTB in anger. A '94 Trek that ran like a dream across 4000 miles of Trans Canada Highway. Thanks. Expect more queries as I slowly progress in all things bike.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • I use this on my Fox Vanillas, keeps them really plush... http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/juice ... -lube/9328
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    Hi you candownloadthe owners manual fromthis page http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/index. ... &tnid=3067 I think it mentions that Bruno stuff by name in it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the seals on the Raidons are pants, I would personally suggest adding some grease below the seal, something water resistant like red rubber, to help the seals do their 'thang'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Are you drunk?
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Halfords Silicone Spray does the job although apparently has a lower %age of silicone than Juice Lubes but it's also loads cheaper so...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65705#tab1

From what I've read the best grease to use for fork assembly is Rock n Roll Super Slick which is also also good for free hubs
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get a big ottle of 5wt fork oil. Smear a bit on the stanchions after each ride and use the same stuff for a monthly lower lube.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    As the seals on the Raidons are pants, I would personally suggest adding some grease below the seal, something water resistant like red rubber, to help the seals do their 'thang'.

You'd do that on a brand new air fork????
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I assume I just pop the seals up gently with a flat head screwdriver and apply red grease or whatever then pop them back....or is it ever that simple. Fairly competent with a claw hammer.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Neal_
    Christo no! Don't go near your forks with a screw driver and don't go anywhere near your bike with a claw hammer :lol:

As others have already said just spray/smear fork lube on (clean) stanchions, pump the forks a few times, wipe the ring of dirt off the stanchion then repeat until there's no ring of dirt.

The grease would only be applied to the seals when you strip and assemble the forks.

Also don't get lube on your brakes or they won't work and you'll need new brake pads.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Neal_ wrote:
    Christo no! Don't go near your forks with a screw driver and don't go anywhere near your bike with a claw hammer :lol:

No problem with using a screwdriver. It's how they tell you to do it in one of the Rockshox official video's, I think thats how they do it in the mojo & TF Tuned video's as well.
  • The Rookie

You'd do that on a brand new air fork????
    Yes, before it gets a chance to be lunched by the incoming water/debris, pointless waiting until after!

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12887867&hilit=raidon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ wrote:

No problem with using a screwdriver. It's how they tell you to do it in one of the Rockshox official video's, I think thats how they do it in the mojo & TF Tuned video's as well.

It's fine using a screw driver to pop the seals out of the lowers but only once you've removed them from the stanchions first, even if you did get the seals out without scratching the stanchions I doubt you'd get the them back on without removing the lowers anyway. Still, you don't move the seals while lubing the stanchions stanchions
  • Is there any link for disassembling a Suntour Raidon fork? Bearing in mind I've never attempted it before but am reasonably confident with a Raleigh bike spanner, claw hammer optional.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • I use this on my Fox Vanillas, keeps them really plush... http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/juice ... -lube/9328

I second this. Very good stuff.
  • The Rookie
    Is there any link for disassembling a Suntour Raidon fork? Bearing in mind I've never attempted it before but am reasonably confident with a Raleigh bike spanner, claw hammer optional.
    All on SR Suntours webby, and really pretty easy.
  • There site is playing up. That, or my PC skills on a par with my mechanical ones. Just a couple of quickies to close the thread.....be patient with me, it's like I've emerged from a twenty year coma. I assume to remove lowers I detach the rebound thingy, then undo the bottom bolts, tap with hammer, slide out........service.....reverse procedure?
    Also. Is there oil in the right leg?
    Thanks.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • The Rookie
    Loosen the two bolts at the bottom of the legs, tap up GENTLY with a hammer to loosen the inteference fit, remove bolts, pull apart.

Not sure of the Damper on a Raidon.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Neal_ wrote:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... _Clean.htm
  • Neal_
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Neal_ wrote:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... _Clean.htm

Wow, didn't know you could do that...still I was right about not going near the stanchion with a screwdriver unless it's wrapped in insulation tape.
  • Thanks DD. now that's what I call a clear concise walk through for the returning cyclist or the retarded.
    Voodoo Hoodoo