Ankle pain

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I've made a topic on this a while ago but didn't really get any proper answers from what I can remember. But I get aching pain the middle bit where your leg and foot join, I guess the pivot point.
Does anyone else get this or had this?
It doesn't tend to hurt while I'm riding, but I will definetely feel it in the morning when I wake up and throughout the day.I'm starting to think is it even cycling related. Sometimes it's one foot sometimes it's both.
To pin-point the exact location I would say it's my Talus bone

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's pretty unusual to get ankle pain on a bike - I'd seek medical help. Could it be down to a previous injury?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GSJ
    it's not ankle pain as in the actual ankle, it's the part which connects the leg and foot in the middle.
    I believe it's called the Talus bone.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    could be tendon related or the position you peddle.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • GSJ
    when doing a pedal stroke your foot is mean't to be straight or is it meant to bend slightly?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    no idea of an official position but mine are where its comfy and feels most natural.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • GSJ
    I've made sure that my legs aren't stretched and there's a slight bend in my leg when foot reaches the bottom.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Ankle pain can be caused my lots of things:

-ankling
    -pedal platform/foot instability
    -cleat positioning
    -overuse/muscle imbalances

etc.

If you're feeling it the day after riding it would make sense if its caused by muscular issues -> given that your muscles tend to tighten up when you sleep after riding.

I presume when your muscles loosen up from normal activity and rest from cycling the pain goes away?

19918.jpg

you can see from this the way the muscles on the shin and the related tendons are positioned -> does this match up with your pain?

The sensible thing to do is try an ankle stretching routine before and after rides... as well as possibly some strengthening and stability exercises.

Pain related to cycling is generally pretty straightforward I think:

-overuse
    -muscle tightness and imbalances
    -poor bike fit and misalignment

Its just that identifying the specific problem can be tricky.. and you may need to see a professional if it persists.
  • GSJ
    well, on wednesday I rode 30miles and friday I rode 12miles it didn't really pain them however, it was aching this morning when I woke up.
    The pain is generally in the area of..Anterior Talofibular Ligament
    Sometimes it does hurt while I'm cycling on and off which I find slightly weird, I won't cycle tomorrow and see if the pain is still there is on Monday. Generally it goes after a few days.