will a turbo trainer annoy my neighbour downstairs?!

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited November 2012 in Road general
Hi

i'm thinking of getting a turbo trianer for the winter, but i live in a first floor flat, would it be really noisey for the guy downstairs?

are any better for quietness (is that a word?) than others?

also if anyone has any recommendations for the actual turbo trainer to get that'd be great too!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-crono-flu ... l-trainer/

Brilliant. As I said before my bike's gearset makes much more noise than this. Really smooth, oil resistance as well so you change resistance using your bike's gears. Very good.

Also, to the person who said you can't stand up and sprint on them, you can.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • But it'll still be noisy - don;t be fooled as you cannot dampen down 100% of the harmonics no matter how many layers of carpet, rubber, wood and foam you put on the floor. It may not be bad but its what the folks downstairs think that matters.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Mine can't hear my turno at all over Slayer.
  • Id suggest a roller, more fun and not as hard as people make out. quieter to.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    If you buy rollers get aluminium ones, certainly not Tacx Antares as they make a right racket
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Turbo's can be very noisy. I use mine in the garage and Mrs DeltaOneSeven has to turn the tv upto 17 to drown out the noise
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Yes it's a bit noisy and yes the guy downstairs will be able to hear it. Just put a mat underneath the turbo, sorted.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    What type of flat? timber frame, converted house? or concrete floors?
  • This is what you need. Who said rollers can't provide variable resistance...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Does your washing machine on spin cycle annoy the neighbours? It's similar to that.
  • I live on the top floor of a two story house with old fashioned thin wooden floors covered in underlay and carpet. I’ve got the turbo in the spare room sitting on a rug, on a 60cm x 60cm x 5cm paving slab I bought from B&Q and this will also have a rubber mat added when I find one I like. It’s the vibration of the turbo that will drive your neighbour mad. The slab pretty much cancels mine out.
  • no.