Windproof jackets - Nylon vs polyester

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a new winter jacket as my old Aldi one is a bit bobbled and doesn't keep me as warm as I'd like.

I've noticed a 2011 Altura Synergy Windproof on Tredz that is reduced and I wondered what the difference was between the older models of clothing and newer ones. Other than colours I noticed the 2011 model is 100% Polyester and the newest one is 45% Nylon, 40% Polyester, 15% Polyurethane.

Does anyone know what difference the nylon / polyester mix will make. Is it better or worse than 100% polyester.

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Rather than wear a heavy jacket, I now layer up. My usual is 4 thin layers - a thermal base layer (at M&S you can get 2 for £20), a long sleeve cycling shirt I got a few years ago from Aldi, a very thin gilet, and lastly a very thin yellow high viz jacket (bought from Aldi £9.99). Wore that lot yesterday when it was very cold. My feet were frozen after a 2 hour ride but my body was warm.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Actually I might try that instead.

I have a thinner summer soft shell jacket. That on top of a base layer and long sleeved jersey may be as warm as my winter jacket + base layer combo. Plus it has the advantage of being able to take off the jacket if I get too warm.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    suzyb wrote:
    Actually I might try that instead.

I have a thinner summer soft shell jacket. That on top of a base layer and long sleeved jersey may be as warm as my winter jacket + base layer combo. Plus it has the advantage of being able to take off the jacket if I get too warm.
    That's right. Both my gilet and jacket can be squeezed into very small stuff sacks which are attached to the back pockets of each. So they can then go into your shirt's back pocket or saddlebag when you get too warm.