BMC 79 Mile Challenge

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
This September, BMC Pro Team rider Philippe Gilbert won the 79th running of the UCI World Road Cycling Championships with a trademark attack in the final kilometers up the decisive Cauberg climb.

To honor that huge accomplishment, BMC is challenging you to go out and complete a ride of 79 miles (or greater) in one day.

Pick your favorite long training ride, prep your bike, fill up some bottles, maybe even sport a little bit of Belgian red/yellow/black, and push yourself to make it happen!

Note: The Challenge is to complete a single ride of 79 miles (or greater) in one 24 hour period. You have a three day window to make this happen and can make multiple attempts. Manual entries will not count towards your Challenge effort, nor will trainer rides.

http://app.strava.com/challenges/bmc-79-mile-challenge

Any Londoners fancy doing a ride on Saturday 17th November? Route TBC, I'm sure there will be some good suggestions if we get a few people. Not crazy chaingang pace, just a nice ride.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Sounds interesting.

My route planning is shocking, so i'll leave that to the others but providingI can clear this with the OH I may be interested.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could be keen. Don't ride a BMC though.

Can I wear a Sky WC jersey?
  • pangolin
    Any bike is fine, just have to paint it in BMC colours of course. Anyone else?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I think I'm heading out on a ride to Windsor on that Saturday. It will be with a group of more recreational riders, and reasonably flat, likely to be around 45-50 miles from Kingston. I'm happy to take a few more on the route if there's interest. Chuck in some miles to get there and back, maybe a cheeky lap of Richmond Park too and you'll be at 79 in no time.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pangolin
    Count me in if that's alright Rob
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I was thinking of riding the Hell of the Ashdown route on that day actually (weather depending). Otherwise a loop out to Windsor stopping at the Chocolate cafe or down to Seale with a stop at the brilliant tearoom at Wyndymila HQ... any takers. Decent winter pace.
  • pangolin
    Competing rides! You should both do a sportive style blurb to convince riders I reckon :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I think I'm heading out on a ride to Windsor on that Saturday. It will be with a group of more recreational riders, and reasonably flat, likely to be around 45-50 miles from Kingston. I'm happy to take a few more on the route if there's interest. Chuck in some miles to get there and back, maybe a cheeky lap of Richmond Park too and you'll be at 79 in no time.
    What time? Might join. Greenwich -> Kingston -> Windsor -> Greenwich should make up the 80.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    dhope wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    What time? Might join. Greenwich -> Kingston -> Windsor -> Greenwich should make up the 80.
    TBC, but likely earlier rather than later as the guys here are all dad's with family responsibilities. I'll confirm.

There have been a couple of thefts from the Windsor Chocolate Cafe recently. I'd recommend a simple lock to deter the tea leaves if you go there.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    TBC, but likely earlier rather than later as the guys here are all dad's with family responsibilities. I'll confirm.

There have been a couple of thefts from the Windsor Chocolate Cafe recently. I'd recommend a simple lock to deter the tea leaves if you go there.

I'm in. Less cramp than RAL too hopefully. DHope - can you pick me up on the way past? Ta
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rubertoe
    Damn you South London types,

Anyone from North of the river fancy it? (I basically need a guide)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• rubertoe
    pangolin wrote:

Thanks,

But those are the parts that I know, was thinking more of around Hertfordshire!