wrong inner tube size effects?

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying some low volume 1.8 tyres for the wet/mud and switching them over just realised that my tubes are 2.1-2.5 sized.

What's the likely effect of running the tyres with these tubes?

I'm worried they'll be prone to punctures or not support the tyre properly, or am i just being paranoid (the switch from 2.25/2.35 tyres to 1.8 is quite dramatic!).

Comments

• Not a lot, just more weight than is needed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    More weight and you risk pinching a tube between tyre and rim during fitment which will (usually at the worst time) eventually puncture the tube.

I run undersized tubes to save weight and use 1.0-1.5 tubes inside tyres upto 2.3"
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    ok, that's fine, i don't mind about the weight at the moment, i'll switch them for smaller tubes when i get the chance but i'll use them for the moment. I don't think i've pinched them whilst fitting, was quite careful about that.

Cheers for the responses.

• I run undersized tubes to save weight

Is this a real reason.......what's the weight difference Vs the tube that's the 'correct' size?
  • Can be 50grams. Pay for that in the rim and that'll cost quite a lot.
  • Can be? Comparing what sizes?
  • Makes and same tubes can differ too, it's a case of getting the scales out I'm afraid
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Schwalbe and Geax (and others I'm sure) put the weights on the website, an average MTB tube is about 200g, most manufacturers do lightweights for a bit more money that come in at around 120g, or I get the smaller size which are easier to carry and fit and logically the same thickness inflated as they weigh similar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.