what iphone cycling apps have you got

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys i was just what iphone apps are you all using ive just got the bikebrain by biologic and it seems to work fine.
except the compass seems to be slighty out of line so i was wondering does it work off the compass in the iphone which you can set to true north or magnetic north. which of the two is the most acurate

cheers
sutty
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• I use RunKeeper, pretty good at anything from walking, cycling/MTB and running, it's free too! :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use RunKeeper, tried a few others but this seemed the most reliable, I use it to improve times over set routes.
  • My friends and I use Strava, very good app. It has plenty of cool features like tracking, achievements, leader boards, comparisons, segment creation and elevation etc etc. I would (and have) recommend it to anyone!
  • Strava on my iPhone, but i use a Edge 200 then upload to Strava. I love the competition on Strava!
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Strava for the win!
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Not cycling specific but i'm using endomondo with a Wahoo HR monitor and finding it a great combo.

Only really use it for personal tracking so i'm not sure if it meets more hardcore training needs but its great for what i do
  • Another vote for strava very good app.

Map my ride is another one (not used it).
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    except the compass seems to be slighty out of line so i was wondering does it work off the compass in the iphone which you can set to true north or magnetic north. which of the two is the most acurate

From where we are in the UK, I doubt you'd notice any practical difference between mag north and true north, though of course true north is the most "accurate". If the compass seems out of line, I'd be asking where you are getting your definitive line from. It could be that there are some bike components which are magnetised which are compromising the magnetic field in the vicinity of your phone, which might introduce some deviation. But I highly doubt that any individual app causes any offset in the compass needle.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767 gives info about calibrating the compass.

HTH!

Matt

Edit: you're not too far away from me. Chester has a negative declination of 2deg35secs apparently (I'm over in Frodsham, not far away at all), according to http://magnetic-declination.com/# . Over 5km in a straight line at 2.5deg you'd end up about 220m away from the true north destination, presuming you were managing to track a precisely straight line for the whole of that 5km. In reality, if you're just wanting go head, eg. NorthWest-ish for about 800m you'd never notice the difference as your path with not be straight anyway.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • You have to check this one out

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spoke-t ... d518870820

I am getting it cracked tonight from apptrackr! I will let you how it works....
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Strava too, used to use runkeeper which also worked well.