Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,869

Greater Anglia being honest for a change.

• Barn owls often hunt in the afternoon and early evening.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,670

They're especially likely to be out in daylight hours when they have young to feed.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,491

Wasn’t a barn owl, it was brown.

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 538

Did you see a pack of Brownie guides following her?

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,595

In the perhaps morbidly cheerful category, this morning watched a sea eagle drift back and forth on the breeze with a bandicoot or similar clutched in its talons. Presumably waiting for it to die so when it sets down to eat, the meal won’t run away.

Cheers me up because the birds are beautiful to watch, and another dead bandicoot is a good thing. They do a massive amount of damage to the landscape round here.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

She’s now been asked to sing at an ABBA themed event at the bar where she used to waitress after they saw her videos from Friday. I’m still waiting on my 20% cut though.

• Pross

Managed to get a nice 5k run in around the Olympic Park. Never more than half a mile from my hotel but over than the initial out and back to get there I never had to run the same path twice. It really is an excellent example of how the Games can trigger high quality redevelopment. The area of also a great example of how you can get high density development with excellent walking, cycling and public transport links, employment, retail, education and leisure sites whilst still having lots of green space. They ought to flatten the early 20th century suburbs in the west and do similar there.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,233

Stumbled across a YouTube channel about building ventilation.

Name of the channel is Fansplaining. 😁

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450

New job back in the holy land*

(* the one with pasties)

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,613

Or the potholey land, if Saturday's ride was anything to go by. I think dentures and cycling would be a bad mix there.

Anyway, congrats.

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 538

Made me look up what a bandicoot actually is. It's one of those things you hear of but really have no idea. Must have been great to see.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,910

Couldn't find the GP5000 tyres I bought for my Vel 50 RL wheels Nov '22, when looking over the weekend...

Then earlier I remembered I put some cycling stuff inside our old indoor guinea pig house in the back room.

Tyres found, along with the missing Castelli aero socks and Zefal mini pump bought around same time. 😆

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,418

I remember following one down a tree lined hill one early evening many moons ago. It's silent flight was incredible.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,911

Working on the flower beds in The Gardens today, the volunteers team and the Trainees team who are all a generation younger than us oldies: one of them says to me 'hey is that Barbie Girl you're singing to yourself?' It was. Heard it on t'radio at the weekend and clearly late 90s bubblegum pop must strike a chord with me.

BTW bonne chance BT with your life change.

• briantrumpet

Thanks Loon. Looking forward to life as #boomerscum, though, like any major change (I've been at the same school for 24 years), there's also an element of trepidation.

• I've yet to meet anyone who regrets retiring!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,262
    edited May 15

Treat it as an extended holiday to begin with. It took me about 5 weeks to get into a new routine, which is no routine. 😂

Further to that, my (lack of) routine is based on the weather. Good forecast, plan outdoors stuff; bad weather, plan indoors stuff. Even that is flexible during the day should the forecast turn out to be inaccurate.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,532

Not just #boomerscum, also #pensionerscum Brian? You'll be first against the wall when Rick becomes El Presidente.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,233

He's just transitioning to a more full time devotion to his French fans. 😁

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Rumbled.

Actually, the local mountains I want to walk up are the Dome du Glandasse (2030m), and le Grand Veymont (2341m). Will need a bit of planning, and a car to get me to the starting points. Reckon June would be ideal. But also a mind that isn't just recovering from juggling too many things at once, and enjoying a rest.

If I don't do them when I'm able, they'll just sit there looking down at me, wondering why I didn't ever make it.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,262

People tend to regret the things they haven’t done more than the things they wish they hadn’t done.

Some of my funniest (to me) memories are things that were horrendous at the time.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,333

The price of rim brake bikes on eBay.

I have a campag 10sp bike that's a joy to ride, except has heavy wheels and rather slushy Centaur gears. It needs a medium cage rear mech for the compact chainsaw I have, and I could do with some spare wheels and 11sp would be nice for cross compatibility.

Current used prices for Champagne mechanical group sets are 500 and up, so I bought an entire bike for 500 with lovely carbon Chorus 11sp, some okayish Mavic wheels and Conti GP5000s, and a spare cassette.

Dunno what I'll do with the left over parts but I reckon I just saved the same as what I spent.

• Pross

Compact chainsaw? Are you living in some cycling based Mad Max dystopian world?

• briantrumpet

It's probably like the wheels with spikes on in the chariot race in Ben Hur.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 15,333

Actually autocorrect has, in this instance, also cheered me up.

• briantrumpet
    edited May 17

Annoying: only remembering halfway round a nice ride that was being spoilt by a concerning rattle coming from the rear end of the bike that I should have tightened the rear cassette more - I'd forgotten what a noise they make when even slightly loose.

Cheering up: spotting a bike shop in Colyton, in the most unlikely of places, and they were open, and they tightened it up in a minute for no charge, so the rest of my ride was sans rattle.