Where on the handlebars should your hands be on a hill?

mogsawerble4
mogsawerble4 Posts: 24
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Unsure due to conflicting information as to where to put put my hands when going uphill should I be on my drops, tops or hoods?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wherever is comfortable.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Watch what other people do and experiment.

If you watch much racing, resting your hands on the hoods seems to commonest option. Riders generally use the drops for aero reasons but the benefit of this is much lower on a climb due to the lower speeds, which is why it's a popular place to launch a break - the impact of being on your own vs being in a group is much less. Having your hands on the top of the bars makes it harder to steer when your pushing hard. This leaves the hoods as the best option, by my reasoning at least.

However, you only really have three options, as NapoleonD said, whichever one works for you is the "correct" option.
  • Completely up to you. Personally i have my hands on the tops the vast majority of the time.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Most of the time on the tops, but move to the hoods occassionally when getting out of the saddle to stretch my back.
  • Tops when climbing, hoods when 'honking' out of the saddle, drops when sprinting up a short climb. The latter is optional but works for me.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Hands on the tops can help open the chest and hence aid breathing - or so I once read. Like many here, on a long climg I'll ride on the tops and shift to the hoods when out of saddle. Unlike thegreatdivide I don't normally sprint up anything :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    loosely hands holding the tops imo when climbing
  • Usually the tops, but sometimes the hoods out of the saddle. As others have said, whatever works for you. I know a couple of riders who always use the hoods, so I guess there's not a correct way.
    Ridley Orion
  • I have no idea why,but I find climbing easier if I'm down on the drops
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Go with what feels good.

Typically I try and place hands on top/middle of bars and this reminds me to keep still and no rocking back and forth to save energy. When things get tough, its on the hoods. And on the drops over the crest.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've recently been liking holding on the drops on climbs. Don't grip too tight, put all your power through your legs. Also I find less, but deep breaths better rather than panting quickly helps too. This seems to help slow my heart rate down.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Wherever it feels comfortable.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    usually one on the saddle one on the bars,easier to push it that way lol..

on the tops normally.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori