Help needed with brakes! - inc pics

Phillr
Phillr Posts: 31
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I am in need of a bit of help.

I tried to upgrade my front rotor on my Boardman Team HT from 160mm to 180mm to increase the stopping power of the front brake. I took the wheel out, swapped the rotor on the wheel and fixed the adapter to the fork, no problem.

However when I tried to put the wheel back in the fork, something went a bit wrong. I cant seem to get the disc back into the brake. The brake seems to have clamped shut completely, even with the pads in the brake the lever doesn't have a bite, it's just completely loose. I took the pads out and the bit that clamps the brakes shut seems stuck. I don't really know, I'm a bit lost for what to do, I am a complete noob at this sort of thing!

10z65tv.jpg
Brake with pads in

2r7vi20.jpg
Without pads, but something is sticking out a bit?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Comments

• Reset the pistons and bed in again
  • use something like a plastic tyre lever to gently push the pistons back in then replace the pads and refit on the bike.

This usually happens when the calliper is off the frame and the brake lever is pulled.
  • Reset the pistons and bed in again

if you dont know what that means - basically get a tyre lever or something to poke in-between the pistons (preferably not a flat head screw driver) and push the pistons back in till flush with the caliper. Do this both sides. Put the pads back in, fit the wheel and pump the brake till it bites.

Oh and remember not to pull the brake levers when the wheel is off!
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    An old pair of pads would help and stop you damaging the pistons with anything metallic.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Phillr
    Phillr Posts: 31
    Thanks for the advice guys, although I think I may be doing something wrong.

I can reset one of the pistons and it stays in, However when I try to do the other one, it won't budge.

Is there anything else I can try, or should I give up and take the brake into the shop.

It's my own fault for leaving my bike in the kitchen with the front wheel off! My son must have pumped the brake when he was messing about with my bike the other day!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use a big screwdriver and turn it like a key so it moves both pistons. Leave the pads in to prevent damage to the expensive bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you remove the pads and use a ring spanner (round edges) there is little risk of damaging the caliper/pistons and you also won't damage the pads!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.