Training Advice/Plans plea!

mattyoung69
mattyoung69 Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Invested in my first ever road bike - nothing fancy but I can dream!

My goal is to use it for work - roughly 19 miles each way - and am in the process of gathering all the obvious goodies - clothing/bag and have tyres and tubes planned over the next couple of paydays.

Im intending on doing some longer charity runs next year which realistically my commuting would be a training session for.

Im looking at investing in a set of carbon front forks a''la ebay - read that they take some of the impact of the surface etc.

Can anyone help with suggestions for training plans, diets/food and supplements please - need to shed some timber in the process so want to cover all bases!

I know im not asking much, but, if you dont ask - you dont get!

If anyones local - Ponte area and fancies dragging me out on a decent run - drop me a line!!

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I got a new road bike about 6 weeks ago. Started doing 7 - 10 mile rides, eating more sensibly - no diets, just less junk food, soon byilt up more fitness to do 15 - 20 mile rides and now I'm looking at 30+ milers, gentle pace no problem. Shed nearly a stone easily cycling 4 or 5 times a week (on rollers for 45 min session at night if not out in the day).
    Just dont push yourself too much at first, then lengthen rides as your fitness improves . Thats it, no training program, listen to your body and enjoy getting out and about.
  • What's the bike? I really wouldn't bother with a carbon fork; they 'absorb road shock' in the same way that some road bikes have 'lively front end'; these are subtleties and dependent on the fork and frame in question. Unless the bike is an aluminium one with an aluminium fork, which is generally considered to be a bad combination, I wouldn't bother. If it's made of steel, a carbon fork will probably be less comfortable! Either way, there are far better uses for that money; by the time you've bought a fork, a new headset and had that headset fitted, you will have spent more than you might think, and it won't change your life.

Otherwise, the most important thing is to get out on your bike. It really is as simple as that. Pushing yourself is a good thing, but you need to build your basic fitness and that itself takes time. Taking rest days is good if you can (I don't drive so don't get to choose!).

In terms of diet there's not a lot to it, and frankly it's quite similar to what most people would benefit from doing whether they cycle or not. Eat the right stuff - high quality carbs and protein (but massive quantities aren't necessary; this isn't body building), cut down on the fatty junk, keep drinking moderate. I think the widespread (willful or otherwise) ignorance of nutrition is a huge problem. Most people either do not seem to know that the enormous Starbucks caramel latte and muffin that they have just for elevensies, or the Big Mac meal contain the majority of their RDA of calories, fat and salt, or they bury their heads in the sand. Cut down and do exercise; it works. Adjust your intake according to how much you do.

As for 'supplements' (I'm not sure what you mean), you will know when you need any such thing. Many sports products - particularly those you find on supermarket shelves - are snake oil, and the trace elements and performance-enhancing ingredients they claim to have in them are a racket; for amateurs anyway.
  • Thanks for the replies, it's a Carerra Virtuoso - not the 'ltd' edition.

It's an aluminium frame and fork - lightweight frame.

In terms of supplements, I'm currently using the nectar fluids during rides and shakes post.

Going to invest in some new pedals - not on a massive budget!
  • As in these?

http://www.nectarfuel.com/

How long are your rides? The general rule of thumb is that you should not/do not need to take on additional carbs during the first hour of exercise, and I will not use a recovery drink afterward unless I have done at least an hour; and that's an intense hour!

As for the bike, definitely don't bother with a new fork. Steel is real. :)
  • That's the stuff - have noticed a difference with that over other similar products.

Rides generally over an hour - mix of uphills etc.
  • I've used these programmes in the past and found them to be really good.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/even ... edule.aspx
  • Wardster00 wrote:
    I've used these programmes in the past and found them to be really good.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/even ... edule.aspx

Thanks for the info I've been looking for something like this! :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    That's the stuff - have noticed a difference with that over other similar products.

Rides generally over an hour - mix of uphills etc.

Bear in mind that the advice for taking carbs after an hour is for hard rides that will last more than 2. Most folks eating a decent diet will have enough carb for about 2 hours of hard riding but no more...hence, you need to start taking carbs (approx 60g per hour) after about an hour to stop you running out when going longer.

Personally, I think you are wasting your money at the moment though. If you are a beginner then it is likely that your intensity will be nowhere near enough to merit spending exorbitant amounts on racing formulas. Try to eat normal food, your body has had a lifetime of it! Stuff like bananas, flapjacks, maltloaf, etc. is great on training rides and as well as keeping your interest in eating, the odd favourite thing can feel like a treat/psychological boost. I do use carb fuel or gels for when I really need them in rides, e.g., I use carb drinks for 100+ milers to save on the quantity of food taken and gels as a boost when facing a big climb after 60 miles or so. Make your own rules though, we are all different.

Don't forget to drink plenty but don't go mad. About one bottle per 90 mins is fine for me but some folks have a little more/less. I find the Nuun tabs to be very beneficial but others swear by squash and a small amount of salt/sugar.

Ride your bike, take days off when you need them, eat well and suffer like the rest of us.