Carrying Dogs.

terryjames
terryjames Posts: 6
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
I am lucky in that I work in the countryside and have a 5 mile commute each way.
I have a Border Collie, now 9 months old, that will be able to come to work with me now that he is trained up to an acceptable standard.
I am looking for ideas that will allow me to transport him to and from work.
The obvious solution is a cycle buggy. Has anyone used one successfully, and has anyone made such a thing themselves?
Any ideas and/or comments will be appreciated.
Terry.

Comments

• We use a childrens buggy with a dog harness....get them used to the idea of going in it over a few days, if you've trained your collie you'll know what to do. Then get it moving then move on. Our 4 month old dog loves going in ours with or without the kids.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's got legs - let it run.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    It's got legs - let it run.
    Down country lanes, in the road? I don't think so!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Harness tied to the headtube to make the ride easier :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    i use the large cycle trailer for my 35kg labrador. Works well. Looked at making one myself but at GBP 69.99 , it wasnt a contest.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIGINAL-DOGGYH ... 15&sr=1-10
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    I have a terrier. I commute 7 miles to work and back.

He trots alongside on a flexi lead - took a bit of effort to get him to to ignore 'small furry creatures' in hedgerows and the like, and it's a bit slower than when on my own, but he is certainly capable, and enjoys it!

MM
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Dog-Bike-Carrier-2.jpg
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    ne of our neighbours used to use one of these for his Spaniel: http://www.personalised-pet-products.co ... ixie-12813.

The only problem came when the dog decided to leap about in the trailer and it turned over taking the bike and rider with it.

Still, nothing's perfect.

Bob
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd spend the money on a kennel and leave him at home to be honest. But otherwise a trailer seems like your only option to me (without driving).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If he's up to it I'd go with the running alongside/behind idea. He'll be tired enough not to cause any mischief and will save you having to take him for a walk.

For small dogs a basket is ideal but a border collie is probably a bit big for that.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    This dog has no problem riding a bike (after he has guarded it for his owner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5TPx_m3-U
  • passout wrote:
    I'd spend the money on a kennel and leave him at home to be honest. But otherwise a trailer seems like your only option to me (without driving).
    He will go in a trailer. We've had a few excursions with this set-up and he is fine.
    Driving him would be impossible as I don't own one of those 4 wheeled things.
    Leaving him at home is not the reason I bought him. I had been leaving him with my elderly parents (8o's), but now he is sufficiently trained, he can assist me at work.
    Terry.
  • cellotape it to the frame
  • Harley35 wrote:
    cellotape it to the frame
    :x
  • I'd love to be able to take one my dogs to work with me, especially as I work at a hospital, and am training them up to be therapy dogs.

In the meantime I cycle with my dogs instead of walking them. They much prefer running around, instead of walking, and its much more fun for me also.

I do purposely cycle on pavements and through the park, appropriately of course (slowing down whenever passing pedestrians), I used to simply hold their leads, and then after taking a tumble once I now use a "walky dog", which is basically a spring attached to the seatpost, which I hook to their harness, and its great.

The walky dog, holds your dog at the side of your bike, and is well built enough to reduce the likelihood of being pulled off your bike. Admittedly I've only got staffies, and the chance of being pulled over could increase if you've got some much bigger.

If you're interested I'll take some photos or video so you could see it in action.