Cyclocross bikes around £500-£600

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited November 2012 in Amateur race
Is it just me or do CX bikes seem to be very expensive. Been trying very hard to find my daughter a Small frame bike without luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands/models that come in under the £800 mark which appears to be starting point. That is a bit steep for growing teenagers and I simply cannot afford or justify that. :( Getting a bit desperate now as I don't want to let her down as she is keen to continue racing. Any advice would be gratefully received! - PS Islabikes have been tried but she doesn't suit the geometry.

Comments

• Have you looked at Islabikes? The Luath range have canti brakes and clearance for CX tyres.

Edit - sorry missed your P.S.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I'd suggest asking around at her club, and putting a sign up at races. As you say, teenagers grow fast, and so there are always going to be smaller bikes for sale as their owners grow.
  • mickisup
    mickisup Posts: 295
    Have spoken to Paul Milnes in Bradford, who can build a very nice bike for just under £700 and that fits the bill. This is a genuine CX bike with plenty of sizing options for a youth. Bang on what I wanted.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    You have something now, but if anyone else is looking I've seen quite a few Specialized Crux bikes reduced recently to around £7-800. Very good bike.

The other place to look is eBay, but it's buying a bit of an unknown really (I got a decent Kinesis Crosslight for £450 a couple of years back).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Second hand for growing kids. In my club there is almost a conveyor belt as bikes get sold down to a younger rider each season.
  • At that price I would go for single speed... fewer mechanical problems, maybe a bit more running than on a geared bike... advantages and disadvantages... I think they are a lot more fun to race on

Look at the All city bikes Nature Boy for a good specimen and see if you find something cheaper
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's a weenie CX bike on ebay right now - something like a 46cm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What size ? My son's 52 crosslite just outgrown.