First Road bike? Choices Choices??

ModerndayMod
ModerndayMod Posts: 2
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All

After a little advice on buying my first road bike?

Current choices are -

1 - Trek 1.2 2013

2 - 2013 Cannondale Synapse Sora

3 - Giant Defy 2 (Compact)

I currently ride a cannondale quick 4 hybrid and commute approx 100 miles a week, looking to get first road bike for commuting in the summer months and week rides & sportive rides.

Any advice gratefully received, Cheers Steve

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    All three are more than good enough IMO :)

Looking at what you will be using it for, have a try on all of them and see which one is most comfortable for you. I know from experience that the Giant is a very nice bike, runs well, and I'm amazed how comfortable it is for a "racer".

EDIT: The Giant will have the widest gear range (unless one of the others has a triple) with a 10 speed cassette, the Canondale probably has a 9 and the Trek an 8. You may find you like the Giants gearing range better.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Mikey41 wrote:
    EDIT: The Giant will have the widest gear range (unless one of the others has a triple) with a 10 speed cassette, the Canondale probably has a 9 and the Trek an 8. You may find you like the Giants gearing range better.

^^^^????
    The Synapse Sora only comes as a triple (3 chain rings at the front) ergo it has the widest gear range.

Yes the Giant comes with tiagra groupset which is 10 speed, that doesn't necessaily give you a bigger range, its juts somehwere you'll have less of a jump between gears as the other 2 have 9 speed rear cassettes. You'll barely notice the difference, except the Tiagre shifters are nicer.

I wouldn't get the Trek, its tainted with Armstrings drugs history!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Check this out for value for money - understated bikes the Ridley brand.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ridley-orion-1105b-105/
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Check this out for value for money - understated bikes the Ridley brand.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ridley-orion-1105b-105/

Had one of these for four years, cracking bike for the cash. Mine in Ultegra spec was £1600 then, this is a bargain.

Careful with sizing though
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    just try have ago on them, I tried that option you have and found the cannondale for me just didn't feel right at all. I also had the spesh allez tested amonsgt them. Liked the Spesh the best, but then funds forced me to halfords :-)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    t4tomo wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

^^^^????
    The Synapse Sora only comes as a triple (3 chain rings at the front) ergo it has the widest gear range.

Which is why I posted what I did.
    I wouldn't get the Trek, its tainted with Armstrings drugs history!
    Really? Wouldn't put me off at all.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava