Recommend me a good route near Macc/Leek

Mefster
Mefster Posts: 54
It's our annual reunion weekend and we're staying at Heaton, near Bosley between Macc and Leek. A few of us have managed to get a visa to take bikes to get out for a ride for a couple of hours.

Can anyone recomment a good route around the Leek/Macclesfield area, hopefully a few nice little climbs and avoiding too many stretches on busy roads. I know we're not too far from the Cat and Fiddle and Goyt, but I'm wondering if any of those areas could be squeezed into a couple of hours. If we disappear for half the day we'll all b in the dog house with better halves!

Any recommendations would be greatly received!

Comments

• I'm see we're not too far from Wildboarclough. I'm trying to recall the nice steady climb, passing the pub, right on the road (to the right) which climbs up then crosses the Cat and Fiddle. I've ridden it a few times on the Cheshire Cat.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    NapoleonD is a well respected forumite - he lives that way and also has organised an annual ride there for other BR members - message him and I am sure he will give you a few pointers.
  • The pub I'm thinking of is the Rose and Crown, in Algreave, so the road is the A54, leading up to the Cat and Fiddle where you can get over to the Goyt valley.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    This is my favourite place to ride but I'm not a fan of the A54 given that there are so many quiet roads in the area (however, I do go on it a lot just to get where I want to go - but I wouldn't make it the focal point of my route). If you are setting out from Bosley and only have a couple of hours then then there is plenty to keep you occupied around Macc Forest, Sutton & Wildboarclough. My favourite climb in the area is the one that goes from Sutton and up Ridge Hill/Meg Lane past the Hanging Gate pub, and joins the A54 at the Fourways motel. On a clear day the views are beautiful. Or from Sutton you can go to Langley, up the Macc Forest and drop down into Wildboarclough valley and ride along the valley. There is a really steep climb from the valley that takes you back up to aforementioned Hanging Gate pub (or you can carry on to rejoin the A54). If you are on Strava I can give you a link to some routes. I guess from Bosley you could go up the A54/Dumbars and then head to Sutton/Langley/Wildboarclough, or even Wincle on the other side. Plenty of nice hills/beautiful scenery.