Using a road bike to tour

Dan_Giant
Dan_Giant Posts: 72
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm planning to ride LEJOG next year for a charity ride, and just starting my planning. Im starting from scratch with my own route rather than an off the shelf version (although it will probably have been done before).

Anyway, my question is how much am i going to struggle doing this on my road bike. I'm thinking of maybe camping my way up the country with the odd hostel chucked in. But i'm thinking it might be a bit much to carry that much stuff on a road bike not built to carry that much stuff.

Do you think its possible or am i just being daft and should just stay at hostels and b&b's all the way.

Cheers

Dan

Comments

• Dan,

Just started planning my Lejog or Jogle for next year as well.

Been considering the many options myself as I have a Giant Deft 2.

i am a bit of a large lad so had to think about the weight on the back wheel.

I looked at panniers (would have gone for the Ortlieb with a Tortec expedition rack). But my biggest worry was how the bike would feel/handle.

I considered a trailer (Y frame). Think I would have gone with this if i had gone down the camping route.

After much deliberation I decided I would Youth Hostel / B&B it, therefore opted to go with just a Carradice Long flap Camper with SQR bracket. This way I will not over pack, the bike should still feel fairly light and handle well.

I have always had a Brookes B17 saddle so comfort is fine, I have also just treated myself to a wheel upgrade, i got some Open Pros with 105 hubs hand built by the highly reputable Harry Rowland.
  • Depends on what kind of road bike it is. You'll be wanting a decent gear range since you'll to carrying extra weight so race gearing is a big no no.

You'll also be wanting a rack with panniers since using a rucksack for multiple days will kill your back for sure, you can buy several racks that will fit to a road bike with no holes in the frame (works by attaching an arm where the brake attaches to).

I would recommend that you travel as light as possible since the frame is not designed to carry a whole load of extra weight, that means no tent and staying the youth hostels or whatever.

My recommendation is to just go for it though, travel light and you'll be fine.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If you want to camp, the simplest option is a trailer - I'd go for the Extrawheel.
    No change to the bike, other than the QR skewer. The only possible packing problem is tent poles - perhaps strap under the top tube if the collapsed length is too long for a pannier.
    A generic problem with trailers is that they are difficult when using public transport - eg up/down stairs between platforms at railway stations, or extra objections from staff.

If you don't want a trailer, next best is a pannier rack. There are versions that attach at the bottom end via the QR skewer (OMM, Tubus with adapter) if you've no mudguard eye to bolt to, and at the top you can attach via the brake bolt or using P-clips. Road bikes generally have short chainstays, so the panniers will have to be mounted well back to provide heel clearance. In combination with a less than fully rigid rack from not using a full 4-bolt connection, you could find that handling is less than ideal in some circumstances. I have memories of an Alpine tour with someone on a road bike & 4xP-clip rack who was reluctant to descend at much over 25mph.

After that, the next option is a large saddlebag (Camper Longflap) on either an SQR or Bagman Exp QR. That would mean being very strict about keeping weight and bulk down, and being willing to spend on a suitably light tent, sleeping bag & mat. You could think about not cooking and relying on cold food, pubs & cafes, or you may manage to move the sleeping bag to the front, eg strapping it below an accessory bar such as a Minoura Spacegrip (or two).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    Personally I'd either go one way or t'other - camping & bells & whistles, or B&B and travel as light as possible. My own choice would be the latter, as I enjoy the lightness of a road bike too much. You can get by with virtually just a T-shirt, shorts, minimal toiletries, phone & repair stuff - I got down to the Alps with just that in a seat-post mounted saddle-bag in August: viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=12514548&start=120#p17861980. Though you need to plan your route with enough options for stopping, as you don't want to be 30 miles from civilisation in the middle of a blizzard, with nothing to eat and nowhere warm to shelter.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Don't go with a trailer. If you are taking a trailer you are, almost by definition, taking too much stuff.

A road bike will be fine. It will be better though if you can fit mudguards on it and gearing appropriate to climbing hills with extra weight on board. As the above poster says you can do this two ways, camping or B&B. i have done my fair share of both. For something like LEJOG I would (and did) take the B&B option. It is fast and light and very pleasant.

Good luck
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    How much do you weigh? My theory. I reckon a road bike would easily carry 16 stone so if you are less than that, take away your weight and the surplus should cover your gear. I would make sure you have a decent rear wheel with a 28c tyre if poss and a 25c tyre on the front. I assume most of your weight will be over the rear wheel so the front is not really stressed.
    I toured France on this roadbike without any problems.
    8142954827_a37c907e77_z.jpg