cassette swapping question from newbie

andrewkitson
andrewkitson Posts: 9
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi, I've had my bike a few months, done about 500 miles on it commuting along a slippery canal. Yesterday my rear tyre EXPLODED!
Got myself a 2.4 panaracer because it looked like it'd take more punishment.

Now I've read on various forums that my new 2.1 front and 2.4 rear set up wrong. The large should be on the rear.

My question is: do I have to swap the tyres over or can I just move the cassette to the other rim?
Cheers

Comments

• I mean I've read the large should be on the front
  • just swap the tyres over
  • That means it's more work ye? Cheers
  • [quote="andrewkitson"do I have to swap the tyres over or can I just move the cassette to the other rim?
    Cheers[/quote]

I think that's one of those questions you should have thought about before posting :wink:

(just take a 10 second look at your bike and you'll be able to answer your question yourself)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I'm going to try running it this way round, just read a larger rear tyre will be a more comfortable ride, I like the sound of that
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited November 2012
    You normally put the wider one on the front for grip - it's easy to catch the rear if it goes, very difficult to catch the front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers Cooldad, good knowledge
  • Pic
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This guy agrees with you
    yellchopper.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What does looks have to do with it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Well, from the pics it looks like 24" rim on the front and 26" on the rear!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Trick of the eye I think. Look where the fork brace is
  • The Rookie
    Yes but it LOOKS like it has a 24" on the front, just daft really, almost as daft as thinking of fitting a cassette to a front wheel.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes but it LOOKS like it has a 24" on the front, just daft really, almost as daft as thinking of fitting a cassette to a front wheel.........

:lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Haha, loving the comments!
    Fitted the tyre to the front and it's loads better, was like cycling a tractor with it on the back. Cheers folks
  • The Rookie
    Praise be, common sense has broken out! Enjoy riding it now!
  • I wanted to see the other end of the spectrum so I fitted a 2.2 DMR Moto Bike Tyre to the rear, not too bad for just tow path riding. It's been a bit hairy on the bits I'm not supposed to ride on!