Road clipless v MTB SPDs

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I'm used to riding in MTB SPDs but am considering switching to road clipless pedals for my new road bike.

Is there and difference to the way they work. I ride with MTB pedals clipping in and out without thought. Will I see much difference with road style clipless pedals?

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    It's slightly trickier to clip in because it's not double sided like the mtb pedals. So you might need to glance down. Once you get the hang of it, you won't need to. The main difference is the surface area, larger surface area means better power transfer and efficiency.
  • Yes there is a difference. I find road (SPD_SL) a hassle in traffic and town with lots of junctions and lights. I just use SPD. Yes, road pedals make me pedal slightly more efficiently and are much more comfortable. So, there you have it from my conflicting views. But a word of warning, I have not tried other road pedals other then the SL.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Gweny
    Gweny Posts: 38
    I've got speedplays, so double sided road pedals do exist. They are expensive but i got mine 2nd hand making them cheaper.
    I can't compare them to anything alse because they are my first clipless pedals.

However they've got a different engaging mechanism to spd sl pedals as it's not "toe first", so may be more similar to spds in that sense?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    edited November 2012
    Is there and difference to the way they work. I ride with MTB pedals clipping in and out without thought. Will I see much difference with road style clipless pedals?
    Yes SPD-SL, Look etc are more difficult to clip in to and walk in than SPDs. Doubt you will notice any increase in efficiency providing your SPD shoes have stiff soles, personally I find SPDs more suitable for general road riding than road specific pedal systems.
  • In practice having 'real' road shoes and pedals makes no more sense than having featherlight tubs, insufficient clearance for mudguards and carbon wheels (which I think are pretty silly in many cases anyway).

It makes no more sense to forfeit things that you needn't (i.e. the aforementioned make perfect sense if you're privileged enough to have a bike dedicated to riding around very fast in nice weather) than to forfeit things that you need. If you have any intention at all of walking any distance during your journey (and you're missing out if you don't use your bike to get around!), you would be silly to use road shoes with non-recessed cleats. They will make you no faster, and the performance gains will be of no relevance unless you are going hell for leather over extremely long distances (i.e. racing), and even then audaxers commonly use SPDs. You can even get SPD shoes that look like road shoes, so you have nothing to lose.

In so many cases it's just mindless conformity. "It's got 'road' in the name, and those are 'MTB' pedals so I can't use those!!!!"
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I find no difference with SPDs and SPD-SLs once clipped in or getting out, but clipping into SPD-SLs is harder and I'd never use them on a town bike where you do a lot of lights / junctions. Also, SPD-SL shoes tend to have a mesh top design by someone who doesn't live in a UK climate to keep your feet cool.

For night time use SPDs can get an insert (they often come with it) with orange reflectors. These are no only a legal requirement but I find they do help me discern cyclists at night when I'm driving.

Shimano A520 SPD pedals are single sided and a bit lighter, they look more "roadie".
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Stick to your MTB SPDs.

Advantages:
    One pair of shoes for all bikes.
    No wasted time getting the pedal/shoe set-up right on your road bike, pedal adjustment, cleat position etc are already done.
    Two sided clip-in.
    Cheap to replace.
    You can walk without doing a duck impression.
    Good range of winter and cold weather shoes.

Drawbacks
    If you're a road cycling sheep and care about what people think about you having (horror of horrors!!) an "MTB" pedal type, you will be urged to buy a new pair of road shoes and cleats.
    If you're not, there are no drawbacks whatsoever.

The idea of "better power transfer" to a non-pro rider is a non-issue and if you get carbon soled MTB shoes there is absolutely no difference in this respect and the same goes, arguably, for good quality stiff non-carbon MTB shoes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Really depends on whether you plan on walking about in your cycling shoes? Road pedals and shoes do help to spread the the load better and give a more positive engagement and feel most positive when cranking hard e.g. racing. Carbon-soled MTB shoes are just as stiff but the small cleat area means they do feel they rock laterally a bit more.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    In practice having 'real' road shoes and pedals makes no more sense than having featherlight tubs, insufficient clearance for mudguards and carbon wheels (which I think are pretty silly in many cases anyway).

For a change Simon, I have to say that I don't agree with you.

If you need to walk a material amount and cannot or don't want to carry another pair of shoes, then MTB shoes and pedals may well be the best option. However, if you only use your road bike to go for a ride and never walk more than 10m at a time when you're out, road shoes make perfect sense. It's also easier to ride short diferences in ordinary shoes using SPD-SL pedals than SPDs as they are larger.

MTB shoes often aren't that great for walking in either (especially if they have very stiff carbon soles) so if you want to do any real walking, you'll need another pair of shoes anyway.
  • lotus49 wrote:
    In practice having 'real' road shoes and pedals makes no more sense than having featherlight tubs, insufficient clearance for mudguards and carbon wheels (which I think are pretty silly in many cases anyway).

For a change Simon, I have to say that I don't agree with you.

If you need to walk a material amount and cannot or don't want to carry another pair of shoes, then MTB shoes and pedals may well be the best option. However, if you only use your road bike to go for a ride and never walk more than 10m at a time when you're out, road shoes make perfect sense. It's also easier to ride short diferences in ordinary shoes using SPD-SL pedals than SPDs as they are larger.

MTB shoes often aren't that great for walking in either (especially if they have very stiff carbon soles) so if you want to do any real walking, you'll need another pair of shoes anyway.

Firstly, thank you for generally agreeing with me. I shall take that as a compliment. :wink:

Secondly...

I basically agree with you. If your riding is essentially 'door to door', I see no reason why you shouldn't consider the best tool for the job. The argument I have against is that - due to the fact that many cyclists have only one bike - it does mean that you can't get around on your bike as well (and I happen to think that this is one of the very best things you can do with one), but chances are you won't want to lock and leave your expensive road bike anyway.

But the 'shoe problem' is one that I've wrestled with throughout my time as a cyclist; it was commuting that got me into cycling. I've tried all sorts of methods, from panniers to stringing them on top of my racktop bag, and using a backpack (which I try to avoid at all costs!). I've yet to come up with a particularly good solution apart from leaving them at work, as unless those shoes are extremely flat Converse shoes (which don't really fit in at work :lol:), they either take up a whole racktop bag or small saddlebag, or are too big, so either you need (a) pannier(s) (which are great but not the most aerodynamic, nor the easiest thing to carry around, and necessitate rack fitments) or a really big saddle bag (which also isn't the most obvious thing to carry around, also requires fitments).
  • I'm interested in this question, and having never ventured into the world of clipless (of any variety) yet, I was thinking about Shimano's touring style pedals. Like these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

I'm not sure if they would provide a more stable platform or not, because obviously the flat side is for flat shoes (which doesn't really interest me), and the extra surface area on the other side I'm thinking can't offer any support because your feet would have to be at least some distance from the actual pedal surface, just to allow some margin in the size of your soles - if that makes sense? I have heard reports that they may offer something for the road rider though...

Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be better off with a lighter pedal I can clip into on both sides.

I too am favouring SPD because the ability to walk is important to me. I ride for the adventure, and it's not necesarily a cycling adventure. I do more cycling than walking these days, but I like to get off and wander occasionally.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm not sure if they would provide a more stable platform or not

Unless you're Mark Cavendish I'd not worry about that. I have basic M520s, A520s with a wider platform and SPD-SLs yet I can't tell the difference once I'm clipped in.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Yes there is a difference. I find road (SPD_SL) a hassle in traffic and town with lots of junctions and lights. I just use SPD. Yes, road pedals make me pedal slightly more efficiently and are much more comfortable. So, there you have it from my conflicting views. But a word of warning, I have not tried other road pedals other then the SL.

I'm exactly the same, I use SPD's too on my road bike and haven't had any problems with them, personally feel SPD-SL's would be much harder to clip-in at traffic lights/in traffic though but haven't personally tried riding with them myself.
    I'm interested in this question, and having never ventured into the world of clipless (of any variety) yet, I was thinking about Shimano's touring style pedals. Like these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

I'm not sure if they would provide a more stable platform or not, because obviously the flat side is for flat shoes (which doesn't really interest me), and the extra surface area on the other side I'm thinking can't offer any support because your feet would have to be at least some distance from the actual pedal surface, just to allow some margin in the size of your soles - if that makes sense? I have heard reports that they may offer something for the road rider though...

Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be better off with a lighter pedal I can clip into on both sides.

I too am favouring SPD because the ability to walk is important to me. I ride for the adventure, and it's not necesarily a cycling adventure. I do more cycling than walking these days, but I like to get off and wander occasionally.

I've got those exact pedals, and they are brilliant for a newbie to the clipless world like myself. I've had them since Mid-October and I'm now fully used to them, clipping-in, clipping-out in all conditions successfully (only had a couple of tumbles).

I've found the only thing the extra surface area on the SPD is very good for getting purchase on the pedal with your foot when pushing off from traffic lights/a traffic jam, you still need to position the pedal to the right SPD side though before you push off, so bare this in mind. The flat side is pretty pointless to be honest, on one occasion my SPD cleat got stuck into my right pedal and I had to attempt to cycle back using the flat side in my cycle shoes, and they just kept on slipping, so I ended up walking.

However, if you want to just pop into your nearby town or set of shops to get some milk/groceries then the flat-side of the pedal comes in very handy indeed as you don't have to faff about pupping on cycle shoes and clipping in etc. you just put your trainers on and ride off on the flat side and the grip is the same as regular MTB style flat pedals.

I personally don't have a clue how people manage to push off in busy traffic/traffic lights with tiny SPD-SL's/LOOK pedals I just can't see I'd be able to get my feet into the pedal in time without significantly holding up the traffic behind me in the queue, or weaving dangerously into the traffic-filled road whilst trying to get my feet into the pedals.
  • To be completely contrary, I can't stand MTB cleats on a ride of more than 40 miles - I feel like I've got a cleat sized drill boring into the sole of my foot. Maybe its the smaller surface area?

Its nothing to do with looking like a 'roadie', but if you're pounding out the miles, then IMO, the best tool for the job is a set of road specific cleats. I find clipping into my Look pedals a doddle and enjoy the wide platform that allows me to pedal for hours at a time without any pain.
  • snickwell wrote:
    To be completely contrary, I can't stand MTB cleats on a ride of more than 40 miles - I feel like I've got a cleat sized drill boring into the sole of my foot. Maybe its the smaller surface area?

Its nothing to do with looking like a 'roadie', but if you're pounding out the miles, then IMO, the best tool for the job is a set of road specific cleats. I find clipping into my Look pedals a doddle and enjoy the wide platform that allows me to pedal for hours at a time without any pain.

Or perhaps it's the specific shoes you have. As I said before, audaxers commonly use SPDs.
  • I've tried both, so here's my experiences.....

Started off wit DHB M1 MTB shoes and Shimano 540 pedals. I commute 22 mile/day at least 3 days a week, and also get out on longer club rides 40-70 mile typical distances, and the odd sportive too. SPD shoe and pedal combo have been great for all these activities. You can walk comfortably, if you need to. Work great on the bike. Easy to clip in/out of.

I wanted to try some road shoes & pedals, and after trying a few different shoes in LBS went with some Shimano's, which felt like wearing comfortable slippers in the shop. Bought some Look Keo pedals and cleats. These where easy to fit and set up, but first ride out (40miles) and had pain in my right foot. Did some adjustments to the cleat positioning and messed around with tension of straps on the shoes, but next few rides it didn't get any better. Shoes and cleats where dreadful to walk in, but there not designed for walking in obviously. In the end, after lots of faffing with the set up and positioning, I sold the shoes and pedals. and bought another pair of DHB M1 shoes for summer use. Maybe the shoes weren't suitable for my foot shape, I don't know! Wasn't going to spend another £100 though on a different pair to find out!

I haven't noticed any difference in power transfer or in any other way between the pedal types. Longest distance I've ridden was the ride with brad sportive at 101 miles, and no issue at all with my (relatively) cheap DHB/mtb spd setup. Big bonus is you can walk in them, should you need to without crippling yourself and without ruining cleats (the look's are plastic!)
    Two weeks ago had a wrecked tyre on way into work, and had to walk 2 miles to get home. Had a bit of foot rub on my heel after, but at least I could walk a distance. Don't know what I would have done if wearing road specific shoes?

So I'm sticking with SPD's :)