NEW A46 Dual Carriageway Nr Nottingham

chickenlegs
chickenlegs Posts: 246
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Some of you will be aware that the old Fosse Way from Widmerpool towards Newark has ben replaced by a new dual carriageway.
This obviously bisects all the roads crossing it. Whereas previously one could refer to an OS map and cross the old A46 Fosse Way relatively easily it is more than difficult to find the newly built crossing sites.
So far I have not located a new OS map that has the new road junctions and posible crossing routes. It is not even on Google Earth --this only shows road works in progress.
My main objective is to get over Gunthorpe bridge and then get into the Vale of Belvoir. My normal route would be to go via East Bridgford if heading towards Belvoir & Redmile or via Shelford if heading towards Harby, Hose or Long Clawson and Cropwell Butler.
There ould appear to be some "pedestrian" bridges across the new A46, plus it would appear that some of the old A46 still parallels the new road and might be rideable?
Does anybody have any suggestions regarding possible routes or maps that will show possible cycle routes?
Would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• noddyh
    noddyh Posts: 43
    Have you tried Google maps? Some of the reworked junctions seem to be on there. Possibly as bridges / underpasses?
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    chickenlegs - take your normal route through E.Bridgford. There is a new bridge over the new road which takes you onto the old A46. turn left then right at a new roundabout to Car Colston.
    If you go to Shelford, again a new bridge will take you to the old A46. Turn right, then left to Cropwell Bishop.
  • Thanks for that info, will try that route next time I am there. Yes I tried Google Maps but it not up to date and only shows the old road before completion. It would of course be useful to use Google PegMan for street view but of course the camera for this is car mounted and can't go where bikes would go. Its probably wishful thinking that Google Earth/Maps will ever us a bike mounted camera!!!! Any bike volunteers out there??!!
  • How about OpenStreetMap?
  • How about OpenStreetMap?
    Hi Dr Fegg, that's great, shows just the detail I'm after and it appears to be up to date, had never heard of "openstreetmap" before. Even my car satnav which is allegedly updated does not show all the new junctions in this area. Many thanks for your help.