Just so I know if I'm being a wuss or not...

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
...what do you consider to be a strong headwind when commuting? 10/15/20mph+? This being my first winter cycling I was also wondering what it would normally get up to, as I've never looked at wind speed forecasts until I started cycling :)

More a question for your soft london poncy types - northerners riding 50 miles across a desolate moor against 50mph headwinds need not reply! :P

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Above 10 is noticeable.

Above 15 is a stiff breeze.

Above 20 is chuffing battering.

You should only contemplate not riding if you are in danger of being hit by falling trees or if you cross any rope bridges on your way home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Anything up to 50 or 60 mph isn't too bad. Over that and you're into dodgy territory. My record is a 120 mph red weather warning that developed after I left but before I arrived at work. Ended up clinging to a lamp post to avoid me and my bike being blown into the Forth. I don't recommend that.

Edit: Didn't see this bit. Sorry.
    More a question for your soft london poncy types - northerners riding 50 miles across a desolate moor against 50mph headwinds need not reply! :P
  • Anything up to 50 or 60 mph isn't too bad. Over that and you're into dodgy territory. My record is a 120 mph red weather warning that developed after I left but before I arrived at work. Ended up clinging to a lamp post to avoid me and my bike being blown into the Forth. I don't recommend that.

:shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Anything up to 50 or 60 mph isn't too bad. Over that and you're into dodgy territory. My record is a 120 mph red weather warning that developed after I left but before I arrived at work. Ended up clinging to a lamp post to avoid me and my bike being blown into the Forth. I don't recommend that.

Yeah, I skipped responding at first- I've ridden home during a storm that stopped my train 20 miles from my usual station... At least on a bike you can climb over fallen trees.

This may be one of those, "if you have to ask, you're a wuss" things?

Cheers,
    W.
  • It may also be one of these, "if you live in London, you're a wuss" things.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    If the grass is moving, it's windy.

• This may be one of those, "if you have to ask, you're a wuss" things?

W.

only asked cos the SCR lot were complaining about the 15mph winds last night and I thought, this is really easy there isn't any wind at all and if anyone complains they're probably soft as sh*te as a norfern type might say.

;)

nah seriously I was just wondering what to expect in the coming months - I've yet to wimp out in the face of a strong wind and am not intending to! :) (but it's not something that's particularly fun after an hour or so of riding)
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Above 10 is noticeable.

Above 15 is a stiff breeze.

Above 20 is chuffing battering.

You should only contemplate not riding if you are in danger of being hit by falling trees or if you cross any rope bridges on your way home.

thanks, that was the sort of answer I was hoping for :)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    head winds aren't too bad, it's just when they're gusting side winds, or swirls around buildings that threaten to grab your front wheel & steer you into traffic.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Me, on the way to work:
    gulch-wizard-tornado.jpg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Head wind = get on the drops and power through.
    Tail wind = entirely mythical.
    Side wind = can be a bit scary, just be cautious.

But no wind should really stop you riding. Its just a PITA.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Head winds are merely character building.

Side winds are a tad entertaining, they keep you well on your toes.

Tail winds do not exist.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • For me anything between 10-15mph is noticeably tricky with 15+ being really tough.
  • Hills build strength - head winds build character.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    In London it's very rare for the wind to have a direction - it just seems to be a constant swirl that always seems to be a diagonally across. Even when the leaves in the trees as perfectly still, as soon as I get up to anything over pootling speed, the wind is whooshing in my ears and trying to hinder my progress.

As for tail winds, maybe two in three years.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    'Tis funny all these posts about winter weather cycling.
    It can be just as wet, and just as windy in July as it can in January.
    The only difference is that it is colder and the roads don't dry as quick.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    As a very short, very soft Southern type, I'd like to say above 10 is a stiff breeze for me :oops:
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    Hills build strength - head winds build vocabulary.

FTFY
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    pastryboy wrote:
    In London it's very rare for the wind to have a direction - it just seems to be a constant swirl that always seems to be a diagonally across. Even when the leaves in the trees as perfectly still, as soon as I get up to anything over pootling speed, the wind is whooshing in my ears and trying to hinder my progress.

As for tail winds, maybe two in three years.

False.

Going to work - oh this is nice, no wind today, maybe the odd little gust. Lovely

Going home - WHY CAN'T I GET OVER 18MPH - I SWEAR MY LEGS WORKED THIS MORNING
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • northerners riding 50 miles across a desolate moor against 50mph headwinds need not reply! :P

60mph count? TBH, that's too high (especially over the Cairngorms at 2200ft)

Cross winds on bridges are very dangerous - especially if you're in the partial lea of the traffic - not fun. But, honestly: headwinds - you just get used to it
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Headwind is just like riding really fast only slower, hunker down, grimace and bear it.

Sidewinds can be bad on bridges and between buildings, slow, prepare and be ready to turn into it.

Tailwinds are great but rare.

I did Heddon to Chollerford up Military Road, along Hadrians Wall at the weekend, mostly uphill all into the wind. Wosrt part was that my feet wouldn't warm up so not quite 50 miles altogether, but sort of desolate Northern moorland. However, I did used to cycle in London and was born there so I must have aclimatised.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Depends on how much its gusting to me. Going into a headwind is just hard work.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?