Possibly not your usual FS or HT question but....

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I currently ride a 2008 GT HT and have recently been offered to swap the frame for a (late 90s?) FS Univega Ram but not sure if it will be of any benefit.

Is it a worthwhile trade? or am I better of sticking with what I know? I used to ride an old FS bike but it was crap when it came to going uphill which is where the HT really performs. I cant test the bike as it is just a frame so would mean transferring all my parts onto it.

Has anyone had one of these Univegas that could comment on whether they are any good or are they just a BSO?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Depnds on the spec of both the bikes and what condition its in - I don't know anything about univegas though but it looks a bit like a BSO.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know nothing about them but:
    1 - depends what will fit from your bike.
    2 - the condition, mainly the shock.
    3 - If it looks anything like this I wouldn't.
    19968.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    What's the stem length on that bike?! 2 foot?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simple answer, no.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Don't do it, the Univega will be heavy and its suspension will suck the pleasure out of cycling for you.
  • cooldad wrote:
    19968.jpg

1 - most things other than the seatpost
    2 - shock is ok and condition is good too, looks to have had a relatively easy life
    3 - same frame although different colour scheme
    Greer_ wrote:
    Depnds on the spec of both the bikes and what condition its in - I don't know anything about univegas though but it looks a bit like a BSO.

spec would be the same as I would use my parts.

Looks like the general consensus is a no, not one post in the univegas favour.

Cheers all
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    cooldad wrote:
    19968.jpg
    That stem looks like my obvious.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah sad and pink and attached to a crappy frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

nearly spat my tea over the laptop at that :lol::lol::lol:

heres one that has been done shall we say a little more tastefully

garybike4_194.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Ram is a good frame, they used to win a lot of tests and awards. Used to - they are a bit heavy, and many of your parts will not fit.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Ram is a good frame, they used to win a lot of tests and awards. Used to - they are a bit heavy, and many of your parts will not fit.

cheers for the reply, can you give me an idea of what wouldnt fit? the only difference I found was the ram had an obscure sized seatpost that I could have shimmed or replaced. both bikes are disc compatible and I have a bottom pull front mech if needed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seat clamp, headset, fork steerer length, cables, front mech clamp, brake hoses, bottom bracket and crank - you have to look up the sizes or trial and error.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    cooldad wrote:
    Have we met? :lol:
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic wrote:
    Seat clamp, headset, fork steerer length, cables, front mech clamp, brake hoses, bottom bracket and crank - you have to look up the sizes or trial and error.

cheers for that. A few things are still on the frame ie seat clamp and headset but would have to check the others.

Have you rode one? I know it would be heavier but im more concerned about how it would behave when climbing. my last FS (mid 90s BSO) used to take a hell of a lot more effort, possibly due to extra weight but also likely due to poor shocks/setup.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Swapping a fairly light well sorted GT frame for an elderly overweight pogo stick. That will be a no then
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I think you will really regret swapping a relatively modern HT frame for a thirteen year old FS. If you are sold on the idea of a FS there are better frames out there for fair prices.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Advice taken and won't be going any further with it :)

Had a mull over it last night and decided i'm better off spending a bit on the current set up (hydro brakes and better fork) then possibly keep an eye out for a better FS frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a retro HT, I don't expect it to ride as nicely or be as pleasurable as my newer bike (exept in it's own way so to speak), if you build it up, do so by all means, but accept it's a retro.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.