Hope Pro 2 front, will I need a conversion?

simmo3801
simmo3801 Posts: 486
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm hopefully taking delivery of a 2011 Giant Trance X2 at the weekend which comes with the Fox F125 RL-11, tapered steerer, QR15, 125mm travel fork. About 2 years ago I upgraded my Kona with a set of Mavic XC717 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs. I'm sure these are better than the Giant P-XC2 DW aluminium rims on a Giant Tracker front hub. Will I need a conversion kit to fit my Pro 2 hub to the Fox fork? Or is that not a possibility? I have only used standard QR skewers before so I'm not sure what size differences, if any, there will be.

I've watched the Hope video on youtube which shows the 15mm spacers simply come out to be replaced by 20 mm spacers but the sales person in the shop said I would need to replace my hub.

This may seem simple to most of you but I've lost a few years of technology whilst having a family!
Giant Anthem X3 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the Pro 2 15mm cups to convert your Qr to 15mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • simmo3801 wrote:
    Will I need a conversion kit to fit my Pro 2 hub to the Fox fork?

unless your current fork is 15mm, yes

presumably it isn't 15mm, or you wouldn't be posting, so I guess you will
    simmo3801 wrote:
    the sales person in the shop said I would need to replace my hub.

if you have regular hope pro 2 hubs, thats grade A bollocks
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Buy some of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hope/pro-2-front-hub-15mm-conversion-kit-ec017627*, pull out old end caps (literally pull out) push in new ones. Done.

* Other stores sell these too!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ok thanks that's a little clearer. Excuse my ignorance but why would I convert these? Is the original Pro 2 a different size? Is this to convert my hub from a QR to a bolt through for strength? I think there was some confusion in the shop as I asked if it was a bolt through, I agree he should have known the difference though. Obviously when I pick it up I can compare and measure diameters etc so all will be clear at the weekend but I was hoping to be able to research a bit online before then.
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You need to convert it because the hole through your hubs right now is about 4 mm (QR), whereas the axle on your (new) forks needs to have a hole of 15mm diameter. Pro 2s take QR, 15 and 20 mm axles. You currently have QR, and will soon have 15mm. If you bought the Pro IIs after market as a 'Hope Hoop' wheel, they should have come with 15mm end caps too, but I know some shops kept these for themselves....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Excellent Ben thanks that's much clearer. I'll have a poke about in my bits box and see if I kept the Hope bits but probably not!

Cheers
    Giant Anthem X3 2013