seat post

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a new seat post plus saddle for my DH bike, and am basing it on weight opposed to comfort as well as a little bling :D

Saddle:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29289

Seat post:
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=461

The seat post comes in three different sizes, is this the diamter of the seat tube? if so i can just measure the diameter and pick the closest one?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no it needs to be exacly the same size. what does it say on your current one?

or what is the frame? (Make,model,year).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    I havn't got that bike with me so i can't look, but the current seatpost is quite worn so i havn't high hopes for a legible answer... The frame is a orange patriot 7+ - 2007 i believe (not a hundred percent on that though...)

cheers nick
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look on Oranges webby in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The size is usually stamped in (towards the bottom end) and quite legible even on the mankiest posts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think the old Patriot's had a 27.2 seatpoost. Can't do better than a Thomson seatpost, they are absolutely solid and reasonably light.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What do you have on there at the minute?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Orange sizes here: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/faq/useful_frame_dimensions

They say the Patriot 7+ was made between 2003-2005 so I am guessing your year is wrong or the bike is not a 7+?

But in any case all Patriots from the first itteration had a 27.2 seat pin. So buy that one.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • pesky_jones
    Orange sizes here: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/faq/useful_frame_dimensions

They say the Patriot 7+ was made between 2003-2005 so I am guessing your year is wrong or the bike is not a 7+?

But in any case all Patriots from the first itteration had a 27.2 seat pin. So buy that one.

Can't access that page right now which is annoying, but thanks for looking that up for me, they do a 27.2 so cheers :)

I'm pretty sure its the 2005 looking at similar models. Hmm i must of just imagined that 2007 from thin air!

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12884569

Thats it
  • pesky_jones
    yeh just checked and the current seatpost is 27.2 - my only question now is - Is a layback seat post less sturdy for a DH bike for some reason? is there any reason why I should just stick to the normal vertical seat post?

its between these two, and i think the layback would look better but it looks like it only has one securing bolt...

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=462

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=461
  • supersonic
    What do you already have? can't tell if your selections are lighter or stronger without knowing!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    To be honest if you are using your seatpost and seat much in DH then you are doing it wrong - its there to guide and steer the bike off the saddle so strength only comes in if you case a landing and slap your nethers on it! :shock:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You seem to be buying parts for the sake of it. I'm no DHer but you linked to a saddle advertised as a road saddle. A seriously expensive stem in another thread, and deciding on a layback post for looks is back to front.
    I would suggest sitting down, working out what you have, what actually needs replacing or improving, and working from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    You seem to be buying parts for the sake of it.

and you seem to be stalking me :mrgreen: ive waited a month for a fresh paycheck to get something for my bike - the FIRST thing i have bought for this bike so im sorry if this annoys you
    To be honest if you are using your seatpost and seat much in DH then you are doing it wrong

you mean you DON'T do DH sitting down :shock: nah im joking, just if you saw my current saddle you would of got rid of it a loonng time ago, even made do with a roadie saddle haha

remember guys im a newbie :D and i probally am concentrating on the wrong things too much, but you learn by your mistakes eh.

and the current seatpost is a syncros seat post - 300mm i don't know the model - cheers supersonic
  • cooldad
    Not stalking you - I read most threads, you are just posting more random stuff than most. It doesn't annoy me at all - it's your money. I'm just trying to add some direction.
    IMHO it's pointless to change things unless it's an improvement.
    But I am right. Fact of life.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    But I am right. Fact of life.
    woah! 8)

Yeah i know your just trying to help and I apreciate it, you've probally saved me some money!

What does IMHO mean its been bugging me for ages!
  • pesky_jones
    Oh and just for the record, i wasn't basing my decision on the seat post because i preferred the look of the layback, hence why i was asking wether there was any difference between the vertical and layback, if someone had said "no, the vertical will be better for your bike" then i would of got the vertical. There both the same price, and if there was no difference whatsoever then why wouldnt you get the one you prefer?
  • cooldad
    IMHO - in my humble opinion. (Although in my case I say humble but don't mean it.)
    As for setposts - you'd get the one that puts your butt where you want or need it to be.
    Personally I will never use a single bolt post for anything more than pootling on the road.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Personally I will never use a single bolt post for anything more than pootling on the road.

Thanks, all i was looking for :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Relying instead on two smaller bolts, the failure of either of which is the same as the failure oif the larger single - that makes a lot of sense!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    It's not the failure I worry about - especially in DH when you won't actually be sitting much. Although what I know about DH is rather limited.
    I've just been out with too many people having 'loosening off' hassles with single bolts, never seen the same problem with two bolts.
    Plus they are much easier to adjust.
    And, while we're at it, they just look better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Can't see any point at all in changing it.
  • I have to agree. If I had to upgrade every component on my DH bike the seat & post would be the last things to swap as they get the least use so are of the least importance

The only thing I changed from the standard kit on my Trek Session was changing from a 38t to 34t ring as any little uphill section was a bit of a struggle to get up. Next on the hit list will be the brakes as the Elixir R's really aren't cutting it - but that's only after installing a set of new SLX stoppers on the XC/AM bike and seeing the difference between them

Save the money for a suspension tune.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8