Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

elbowloh said:

It's actually been easier to see a gp here since Covid started when you actually need on, as they're doing a better job of triaging out the trivial. Often see them same day.

Had to wait 2 weeks for a telephone consultation.
    Absolute censored .
    To continue my rant at how shoite our GP service is.
    My mother's neighbour, mid 70s had a knee replacement and was discharged from hospital last Tuesday. He was advised to contact his surgery to arrange for his dressings to be changed and the 32 clips to be removed. Quite reasonable advice.
    His missus phoned our surgery to arrange this but was told there was nothing available for 6 weeks. When told that this was not acceptable, the receptionist told my mother's neighbour that she would have to do it herself.
    Eventually, after several phone calls and arguments, it has been agreed that she can take him to the surgery on Friday to be attended.

In case anyone thinks I am on an anti NHS tirade, a big shout out to New Cross eye hospital in Wolverhampton for yesterday. Excellent, yet again.
    thank God the NHS is not overwhelmed

Private doctors on a pay as you go basis can be surprisingly cheap
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    ^^ Ballysmate's surgery.

That is poor. On the other side of the coin, ours tends to be very good, apart from one small niggle.

Mrs Slog will phone with an ailment, the conversation goes something like...
    Mrs Slog: Hello, is that Jenny? this is [first name, last name]
    Jenny: Oh hello [first name], what can i I do for you?
    MS; feeling a it poorly etc can i make an appointment etc.
    Jenny: This afternoon at 2:15?

All good. And to be fair, you can usually get an appointment the same day, phone in the morning for the morning slots, same for the afternoon.

But if I phone...

Capt Slog; Hello, I'd like to have my blood pressure checked please.
    Receptionist: You'll need to speak to the practice nurse.
    CS: Okay
    There's a pause here as I wait to be put through,
    the pause lengthens.
    CS: erm, you said I had to speak to the practice nurse?
    Recep: Well she's not here now! (you can hear the eyes rolling across the line, as if I was supposed to know this. WTF?)

Basically, they don't like men and see them as some sort of inconvenience if they need to be treated.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited July 2021
    pblakeney said:

Dog walkers. Again. Why bother posting? Because this one is special.
    Came up behind a couple walking their dog off the leash on a country road, no pavement. So normal, wrong as usual.
    This couple had to apologise profusely for not being able to control the dog as it is deaf. WTAF!
    If ever a dog should be on a leash it is a deaf dog on a road.

2 winters ago, I was out on the bike and got caught in a snow shower. I was following the near side wheel track left by cars.
    Up ahead was some bozo with his black lab cross thingy. I had seen him quite a few times walking his dog. This is on quite a busy link road.
    The dog wasn't on a lead and was jumping on and off the pavement.
    I was anticipating the dog jumping off just as I passed but took the gamble thinking that i'd rather not cross over the snow in the middle of the lane to the off side track.
    Sure enough, the dog jumped off the pavement and I had to swerve but thankfully stayed on and uttered 'ffs' reasonably quietly. Although he heard me. I kept pedalling thanking my lucky stars.
    Then he starts shouting profanities and I get into a blarney with him and tell him he should have his dog on a lead and did he realise what the dog was doing and all he did was keep on mouthing off.
    It's not inconceivable that the dog could have been run over.
    It's also not conceivable that the dog did eventually get run over because I saw him many times since and he didn't have the dog with him.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    pinno said:

It's also not conceivable that the dog did eventually get run over because I saw him many times since and he didn't have the dog with him.

Confused me there.
    Dog owners are in a world of their own.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Confused me there.

Shout out to the dog owners who are socially distancing when they talk to each other from either side of the cycle path...

...but make sure that the cycle path is blocked by their dogs sniffing each other on their long leads in the middle of the path.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Confused me there.

Shout out to the dog owners who are socially distancing when they talk to each other from either side of the cycle path...

...but make sure that the cycle path is blocked by their dogs sniffing each other on their long leads in the middle of the path.
    That's normal around here too, however last night on the canal towpath every dog walker had their dog on a short lead and kept to one side as I was riding along. Maybe it's because I was in non cycling clothes with no helmet?

To make up for it, a large group of boaters had set up their deckchairs at the side of the towpath and when they saw me coming stretched their legs out across what little was left of the path.
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    Has anyone mentioned the use of the term "cockpit" as an annoyance to describe handle bars etc? As this really gets me.
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Cyclists and runners on the towpath trvially annoy me.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rob.m said:

Has anyone mentioned the use of the term "cockpit" as an annoyance to describe handle bars etc? As this really gets me.

rob.m said:

That is so wanky that it is amusing
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    People that are helping...

MIL comes over most days to help out with the kids whilst the wife is poorly. Constantly disturbing me whilst i'm trying to WFH (it's not the kids who are disturbing me), and there's always a load of washing up (more than we started with) which I end up doing every day. I appreciate the help with the kids, i really do, but sometimes it seems like i end up doing a lot of the work anyway.

Whilst we were away, we had a friend stay at ours for a few days. When she stays over, she likes to try and do some chores around the house to help out. This time she decided to trim the hedge at the front of the house (even though i did it about a month ago). She then proceeds to cut through the cable of the brand new trimmer (used only once previously).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    That's impressive.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    thistle_ said:

To make up for it, a large group of boaters had set up their deckchairs at the side of the towpath and when they saw me coming stretched their legs out across what little was left of the path.

Should have crashed straight into the c*nts.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Ben6899 said:

thistle_ said:

Should have crashed straight into the c*nts.
    A deliberately failed bunny hop over the legs would be good. Although in my case it would fail even if I tried to do it properly.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Errare humanum est.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Tuesday? I think it was Tuesday, yeah?

Surprisingly nice morning for a walk. Headed into town, lunch, some shopping, then a chiro visit again, not that it was very useful this time.

Other Half is doing ok. More imaging to be done at end August, and appointment is made to discuss follow up surgery pending those pictures. In the meantime, just concentrate on recovery.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    I think Spinner will be annoyed by posting in the wrong thread. OK is good, better than not ok at any rate. Concentrating on recovery is definitely helpful, try to stay positive.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562

I think Spinner will be annoyed by posting in the wrong thread. OK is good, better than not ok at any rate. Concentrating on recovery is definitely helpful, try to stay positive.

Gives you an idea how on the ball I am lately...

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68

Gives you an idea how on the ball I am lately...

Completely understandable
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021
    Last week it was a horsefly, this week it is a wasp.
    Mother Nature is a be-itch.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    pblakeney said:

Last week it was a horsefly, this week it is a wasp.
    Mother Nature is a be-itch.

Wasp had me today too. Walking through a wooded river valley, not really wasp territory, and felt something hit my head. I went to brush off what I assumed was a leaf or bug but there didn't seem to be anything there. The next second I felt the pain of the sting. It's years since I last got stung by a wasp and I can't remember it hurting so much.
  • pblakeney
    Stuck in my cycling* helmet. Got me at least twice.

*For clarity you naughty boys. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

I always wear a bandana underneath my helmet - even it's if very warm.
  • pblakeney
    First time in 30 years. I'll take my chances. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    edited July 2021
    You don't have to deal with the swarms of midges awaiting in clusters I presume.
    Also, these little black flies that seem to prevalent near livestock - mainly cattle.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    A bandana or another head covering also saves us cueball types developing badger stripes.
  • pblakeney
    Neither of these things appear to be an annoyance of mine.
    Clearly not enough beasties, and my pate gets enough sun elsewhere.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno

A bandana or another head covering also saves us cueball types developing badger stripes.

This.
    We have to protect our perfect heads (the one's not covered in weeds).
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Had that happen a few years ago but somehow didn't get stung, presumably as I've got quite thick hair.

Worst I had while cycling was one hit me in the ear and stung me.
  • Pross
    edited July 2021
    Anyway, another very trivial annoyance of mine. People who order a jacket potato in a cafe but only eat the inside and leave the skin.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Had that happen a few years ago but somehow didn't get stung, presumably as I've got quite thick hair.

Worst I had while cycling was one hit me in the ear and stung me.
    Or it was a male wasp.