Wind-proof gloves

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
My long serving Castelli gloves have finally died and I need some new, wind-proof gloves for cooler days. I've got some Gore winter gloves so I don't need fully thermal ones, just thinner, full-fingered wind proof ones. The Prendas ones seem to get good reviews. Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    gore windstopper gloves for me.

actually need to order a new pair as i lost my old ones
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Get the Prendas ones and tell us what they're like.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The 6.99 planet x ones are good. No padding though
  • Gore Power SO. Work really well right from 10 degrees to about -5.

Lovely.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    spasypaddy wrote:
    gore windstopper gloves for me.

actually need to order a new pair as i lost my old ones
    +1 Five years on and still going strong.

That said, buying gloves is about the fit first and everything else second.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The have some at planet x that are slightly more but better made, nothing wrong with the one's above I have a pair but the slightly more expensive ones are longer in the cuff which I also have (yes I have too many gloves)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXWINGL/planet_x_wind_block_gloves
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Expensive, but Assos Early Winter gloves are great. I've had my pair for several years now and they are going strong; beautifully made and well fitting.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Expensive, but Assos Early Winter gloves are great. I've had my pair for several years now and they are going strong; beautifully made and well fitting.
    I've got a pair of those, along with the glove liners and lobster claw covers. Pretty good i'd say, and worth the investment. I've also have a pair of Pro Gel winter gloves which are fine until about 5C and would recommend. I'm a big nancy when it comes to having cold hands though, so needed something more heavy duty for longer/colder rides. With the lobster claws and glove liners the Assos gloves are awesome.
  • Hoopdriver
    I have the liners and lobster claws too and as you say, together they are awesome. I've never been cold even on long rides in bitter temperatures. Very well worth the investment.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm still getting used to the grip on the handlebars while out of the saddle and wearing the lobster gloves. Sooooooo comfy though. Have you ridden in the wet with them yet? Are they properly waterproof?
  • Hoopdriver
    notsoblue wrote:
    I'm still getting used to the grip on the handlebars while out of the saddle and wearing the lobster gloves. Sooooooo comfy though. Have you ridden in the wet with them yet? Are they properly waterproof?
    THey are water resistant - and to a pretty good degree, too.

Usually when I am wearing them it is clear and very frosty - hence its being cold enough to warrant the full monty - and so I've not worn them lots in the rain. But the few times I have they have performed very well; no complaints at all.
  • Wrath Rob
    I've gone for the Prendas ones, I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I love the prendas arm warmers so I'd imagine the gloves to be great as well,
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The prendas ones you linked to or the thicker air tunnel ones?
    I was about to pull the trigger on the air tunnels as i have the over shoes, and they are astounding compared to all other over shoes I have used.
    Waiting on the restock of my size though on the gloves
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have the super roubaix gloves from Prendas and they're lovely, good as glove liners too under your winter gloves. The material is warm but quite thin so I like to wear mitts under mine.

I have the windtunnels too and they're warm and comfortable (although so far only tested down to about 2degC). The material is a bit odd (like stiff, neoprene type stuff) but you get used to it and like I say they are comfortable.

They're a bit bulky but not as much as some others I've tried on (and they are winter gloves after all). No problem using STI's and can just about get stuff in and out of pockets while wearing them.

Both gloves are good and grippy too.
  • +1 for Assos - awesome gloves. For proper rain I use their rain gloves which are excellent but the system is great. I cheated and bought the Early Winters then picked up the lobster on eBay and I already had a set of Gore running thin gloves which I use as a liner. I get some much use from the basic gloves and my Airjack 851 that they are well worth the investment - if only other kit was this useful.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wrath Rob
    Went for the Super Roubaix ones, with an eye on the Air Tunnel's as a possible addition if they're any good.