Iphone GPS app - that can upload maps ?

elredso
elredso Posts: 94
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Ordered a trial garmin unit for Hillasaurus, as they are doing them for free. Looking at it though, the only one you can upload maps to costs in excess of £300 !

was wondering if anyone knows of any decent Iphone apps, that allow you to upload gps data for rides in areas that you dont know ?

I have strava (not used it yet) and also Runtastic Mountain bike pro - which is fantastic for logging rides etc... (seems to do exactly the same as the cheaper garmin units, but with full colour map too) - but no option to upload gps data

any one know of anything ?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Upload maps to the phone?
  • well gpx / tcx files etc...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yes but do you mean you want to upload to the phone or from the phone to a computer?
  • Cyclemeter let's you upload routes and use the maps in the iPhone. Works well. You even get route indication if you can't get a 2G/3G signal.

But the garmin 500 allows rout uploads and gives adaquate route guidance info

YMMV
  • upload to the phone

so when i go somewhere new - i can get a gpx file, to guide me around the area
  • Motion X gps does this and you can download the relevant mapping before your trip, so you don't have to rely on an Internet signal. It will kill your battery though, unless you only look at it occasionally. I once set mine up on the bars, with screen lock off and brightness way up. Phone was dead in two hours.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Trails is the best I have found. You can download OSM maps to the phone, then upload GPXs and use them as ghost rides.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Shackster wrote:
    Motion X gps does this and you can download the relevant mapping before your trip, so you don't have to rely on an Internet signal. It will kill your battery though, unless you only look at it occasionally. I once set mine up on the bars, with screen lock off and brightness way up. Phone was dead in two hours.

I think your phone battery is probably on the way out! On my long training runs (on foot) I get over 4 hours with screen permanently on and listening to music. As a pure GPS tracker on the bike (with the screen off and in my pack) it'll do 8 hours give or take....
  • I have an Garmin Edge 605 and I have uploaded free maps to it. Check out http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm Pretty good for free.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • Hi

I use viewranger on the iPhone. Excellent app and very good on the battery life.
    You can download OS maps to.
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • Another vote for Viewranger here.
    Yes the OS maps are the best but for places you are only riding once the free opensource ones are great. I download the detailed maps in advance using wifi so as not to have to use my data allowance, or rely on a signal (!), to populate the detail when out on a ride.
    It is really simple to do from inside the app as well, no messing about with gpx files etc. I often find that the free OpenCycle maps have off road mtb trails already marked on them eg for Afan Forest, whereas the O/S ones only show "proper" designated footpaths etc.
  • Another vote for viewranger. You can specify an area to cache on the open maps, and you can upload gpx files to it, it's a very nice app