New Bike/ Audax

wormo
wormo Posts: 30
Would you guys/girls do an 160k audax on a bike that you only took receipt of the day before? It is going to be a brand new bike. Am I worrying about nothing?

Cheers

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It depends. To some people 160km is just a warm up, so it would be a nice little test for the bike

In 2007 my old bike was on it's last legs and I'd ordered up a new one. The new bike was due in November 2006 and actually appeared late March 2007. I was going on a 300km the day after I got it. I decided to take the old bike and guess what? The old bike had a major problem, the rear derrailluer got mashed up, I had to convert it to single speed and DNF'd

The sensible answer is no, don't use the new bike. But hey, it's only 160km, what could possibly go wrong???!??
  • wormo
    wormo Posts: 30
    I've got no issues with the distance, just would you do it on a brand new bike you are not used to.

Thanks for your reply
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you are happy with the knowledge that you're going to be a bit slower due to fiddling with seat and position etc. - shouldn't be a big drama. However, you need to know the bike is sound mechanically. I made the mistake of riding a 300 on a brand new bike which had a small manufacturing defect (the shim that forms the 27.2mm seatpost hole was more like 27.3mm and the seatpost slipped down slowly over time). I got a new frame, but I also destroyed my knees.

It certainly comes with risks, but it's down to you as to whether you'd take them.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    If you are confident that the new bike is going to fit you because it is set-up to suit your dimensions and also the bike is properly checked out prior to the ride it would no different from Wiggo crashing his bike at the finish of one stage and starting the next stage on a new bike or taking one of the roof of the team car during a stage.
    423300_10150709000014524_1978882863_n.jpg
    Wiggo's spare bike (note round chainring) :shock: 8)