Is the carbon worth the extra?

mogsawerble4
mogsawerble4 Posts: 24
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Currently looking at a new road bike and have found a second hand carbon pinarello fpquattro frame only it is is likely to go for around £400-£450 and I think that this may put my overall price over my budget. Should I pay the extra?

Comments

• Always hard with a first bike. If it helps, I got an alloy bike and was so hooked I ended up getting carbon a few months later so spent more. If I were you I would get the frame and spec it cheaply and upgrade the components over time. I haven't ridden a pinarello but carbon bikes are generally lighter stiffer and more comfortable so whether you race it, use it for sportives, or just for pleasure it will always be a nicer place to be. Downsides are: you will find yourself more reticent to use it in foul weather! Also Leaving it outside the cafe mid ride will make you feel uneasy.

A final justification that I have always used with my bikes: The more wow factor they hold for me the more I want to be on them and therefore the more I ride.
  • Seeing as this is posted in the beginners section I'd say a definite no. I think it takes a while to figure out exactly what you prefer in a bike and the first one or two are great adventures that you'll learn a lot from. They almost certainly won't end up being precisely what you want. Stay on budget, don't think flash is going to help and enjoy this fantastic pastime/ sport we all love. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the posts, I've followed your advice and decided on the sensa romanga alloy with 105 group set and supra medium profile wheels
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Depends what your overall budget is and what the alternatives are really.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    A Specialized Tarmac with it's carbon frame weighs 1lb less than a Specialized Allez with its aluminium frame. But costs $600 more. http://www.bicycling.com/specializeds-a ... /video/all

If you were to upgrade just the frame. A S-works Tarmac SL4 frame would cost £2250.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Tricky one, I agree with island man in that it's taken me 3 years to want to step up to carbon, but that link is great and if I'd seen it I would have gone for the carbon first time. One thing is true, if you don't enjoy it you will have a bike sitting in the house gathering dust so get a bike that fits, and get miles under your belt. it will help when you come to to choosing the next bike. Also half the fun is researching which bike to get next!
  • if i had a grand i would always go for a high spec alloy bike ( canyon rose ) over a lower weightier specced carbon bike .
  • Downsides are: you will find yourself more reticent to use it in foul weather!

Not a dig at you, more a general observation, as i've seen this quite a bit with carbon owners.

Why is that? Its Carbon fibre, its not going to rust, it wont dissolve, it wont turn into a floppy mess. If fighter jets can fly in all weathers at the speed of sound with carbon on them, i think your bike should be ok :D

I've never really understood this. The main reason i wouldnt want to ride in fowl weather is because its not very nice lol.
  • Dan_Giant wrote:
    Downsides are: you will find yourself more reticent to use it in foul weather!

Not a dig at you, more a general observation, as i've seen this quite a bit with carbon owners.

Why is that? Its Carbon fibre, its not going to rust, it wont dissolve, it wont turn into a floppy mess. If fighter jets can fly in all weathers at the speed of sound with carbon on them, i think your bike should be ok :D

I've never really understood this. The main reason i wouldnt want to ride in fowl weather is because its not very nice lol.

+1

The only other thing I would add is to get a bike you're happy with. If you get an alloy bike but hanker for a carbon, you're just going to waste a bit of money upgrading in a few months time.
  • I bought a Specialized Roubaix 3 weeks ago. It is a full carbon frame with a Sora groupset and cost £1,200.

The bike is superb. Very comfortable. I've done rides of over 3 hours and it's been great. I'm not the normal shape for cycling. At 5ft 6in and 21st I've tested the frame to the full, riding around 80 miles per week.

I've also taken it out in the rain ( difficult not to in Wales ) and it hasn't dissolved. My aim is to ride it to train as I've signed up to do the London 100 next August. I've already ridden up to 40 miles and did 31 miles today with another 30 mies planned or tomorrow.

My carbon bike is he best investment I've made in years. :D
  • try planet X
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    Downsides are: you will find yourself more reticent to use it in foul weather!

I think it's more down to riding in winter conditions and an expensive bike is more likely to have higher end components (group, wheels). Road salt is highly corrosive when wet and eats at alloy (bearings, mechs and especially rims). And as most of the riders with a 'best' bike also have a 'worst' bike, that one sees the donkey work.
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    I'm not the normal shape for cycling. At 5ft 6in and 21st I've tested the frame to the full, riding around 80 miles per week.

Crickey! Good work mate, keep that up and you won't be 21st for very long! 8)