Evans/Ride it. Dorking sportive

JimBobs09
JimBobs09 Posts: 8
Hi folks

Is anybody doing the Dorking sportive on the 2nd of December?
It's going to be my first sportive,I will be doing the long route so it's going to be my biggest ride yet!

Looking forward to it!

Good luck folks.

Comments

• BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    I've booked up for this too, doing the 60 mile route.
  • I'm doing it as my first sportive and still undecided between 15 or 30 miles. Obviously got some way to go to catch you guys. Either way best of luck.
  • greggbaker wrote:
    I'm doing it as my first sportive and still undecided between 15 or 30 miles. Obviously got some way to go to catch you guys. Either way best of luck.

I'm very much a beginner road cyclist myself. I have only been riding for around 3 months now, my longest ride is only 40 miles so far. I am still trying to decide if I have what it takes to complete the long route.

Still a couple of weeks left to get some longer rides in. I live in Dorking, and regulary ride most of the roads that will be used on the route.

Good luck with your route choice,be safe and hope it goes well.

Cheers
  • I'm doing this one,15Miles.
    Will be doing it on my MTB as sold the Hybrid,getting a road bike soon for Xmas.
  • Thanks for the encouragement. Probably gonna have a crack at the 30. A mate of mine from work is riding with me and is very experienced so feel better about that. The distance isn't what is bothering me, more the climbing.
    I'll have a crack and see what happens.
    Cheers.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I'm doing the 60miler, should be enough before freezing to death!
  • I didn't do it in the end....trip to Liverpool day before & getting home at 11pm + a cold(man flu) is my excuse.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I thought it went off well, few incidents but nothing major. A great route with a few cracking climbs. You've got to doff your (cycling) cap to Evans, for £12 they run a decent ride. It's well organised, well sign posted and the start point had parking.

I have no idea of my time though I think it is half decent though a weeks drinking isn't really a good warm up :roll: I have a fantastic memory of the ride, going along the flat lands near Dorking and having a line of about 15 riders behind me, I was head down and laying some pace. There was a spot of frost on this road and it must of looked epic for a spectator. Sadly no photo! Generally everyone got round safe and looked out for each other with typical peleton etiquette, there was a couple who dropped it and then started shouting "Ice" at passing riders, not that I found any at that particularly point. Always a good opportunity to have a brief passing chat with some of the female entries :wink:

So apart from a couple of minor spills and some gypsies in a Ford Maverick who decided to beep and swerve at the riders it was an absolute blast!
  • Thought I'd enter on day due to variable weather recently and found it was bloody sold out the night before. Gutted!!! Anyway after not being sure if I could do 30 miles (earlier post) I did my first 25 with a mate and could have 30 fairly easily so quite happy overall!!!