Price match

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
I asked a local cycle surgery about price match, they said fine as long as competitor has same size, model in stock

Which I imagine most places would do, but when I asked any further discount due to paint chip on frame, no further discount can be offered, which I'm surprised. Would you expect some discounting on a display model with paint chip?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would. If not what is the incentive to buy that one. If its full price just go elsewhere.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I'd buy a perfect one from the shop you got the good price in the first place. No brainer surely?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    evans gave me 10% on a bike as it had a mark on the frame. Got it home and wiped it off and the bike was then like new!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    edited October 2012
    Price match annoys me , what the retailer is basically saying is , i'll sell it to you for the most amount of money i can possibly get for it. Thats not being competitive in a market economy .
    Personally i'd always go ( well nearly always ) to the retailer with the lowest price , that said i am prepared to play a premium for service. The issue is determining the service prior to the purchase .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • p1tse
    Yeah annoying as I did see other web places like stif and tredz which had clearance prices but those are now gone and so can't use to price match :(
  • sub55 wrote:
    Price match annoys me , what the retailer is basically saying is , i'll sell it to you for the most amount of money i can possibly get for it. Thats not being competitive in a market economy .
    Personally i'd always go ( well nearly always ) to the retailer with the lowest price , that said i am prepared to play a premium for service. The issue is determining the service prior to the purchase .
    +1
  • sub55 wrote:
    Price match annoys me , what the retailer is basically saying is , i'll sell it to you for the most amount of money i can possibly get for it. Thats not being competitive in a market economy . <BR sab="851">Personally i'd always go ( well nearly always ) to the retailer with the lowest price , that said i am prepared to play a premium for service. The issue is determining the service prior to the purchase .

I don't see it quite that way. If you treat price-matching as the standard operating principle of the market that sets the baseline price for a given good it begins to make sense. If everybody challenged price anomalies like the Cyclesurgery one every time the baseline would be set, allowing the real competition, be it over price or other factors like location and service, to begin.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I never really quite understant it either.

To me merely matching it is not enough, they need to better it, otherwise what benefit is there?

Sure you can get it there and then from the retailer willing to price match but you could equally get it from the place that you are using as the benchmark for the price???

It also annoys me that people advertise price matching - they may as well advertise 'our price is high but you might be a sucker and pay it'!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • p1tse
    I emailed cycle surgery HQ and pricing are set by them, but obviously the store has the ability to price match and adjust for damaged items I would imagine

The likes of say go outdoors price match plus 10% if find prices cheaper I think, wished cycle surgery have something like that

Bit annoying they won't adjust for damages especially when it's more than light scratch and has a thumb nail paint chip
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    I bought a Pearson Touche frame from from Cycle Surgery in Manchester in January. They didn't have my size in stock but it was in a London branch built up and on display. They arranged for the frame to be sent to Manchester with no obligation on my part to buy it. It was already in the winter sale and I redeemed a 10% voucher and was given another £10 discount for a small chip by the bottom bracket I pointed out.

So I suppose it depends on who you speak to. I couldn't fault their service. I would try your luck again with another assistant or even another branch.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    smidsy wrote:
    It also annoys me that people advertise price matching - they may as well advertise 'our price is high but you might be a sucker and pay it'!!!

It depends on how they run their business. John Lewis, for instance, have scouts who spend time in the competitors' shops and note their prices. They then price their products competitively but can't be the cheapest all the time. So they have a price match guarantee.

Obviously smaller businesses can't do that so they rely on the customers finding the cheaper deal and asking for a price match. The differential then has to be quality of buying experience and after sales service.
  • p1tse
    I'm usually quite particular with looking after my personal belongings

I'm willing to for-go marks and chips is reflected in price
    Just annoying they won't adjust accordingly

I would imagine they would have the same issue for other buyers as its rrp £1550
  • does anyone know if you can reclaim the price difference? just bought something off wiggle yesterday and seen it today for less on another site, but its too late for me to change the order...any previous of wiggle price matching after the order has been processed...asume not!!??
  • It is a lazy and inexpensive way for the big fish to get rid of the small fish... you know the big fish is reliable because you have used it before, you can get the item at the same price than the small fish you know nothing about, hence you go for the big fish and the small fish goes out of business
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy wrote:
    I never really quite understant it either.

To me merely matching it is not enough, they need to better it, otherwise what benefit is there?
    +1 should be price match + difference between prices as discount...supermarkets are doing this why can't these shops. Anyway...cycle surgery...rip-offs and useless mechanics who tell me that they couldn't get hold of a Shimano RS10 spoke! go to the shop you see the cheapest in your case and as for a discount.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • p1tse
    does anyone know if you can reclaim the price difference? just bought something off wiggle yesterday and seen it today for less on another site, but its too late for me to change the order...any previous of wiggle price matching after the order has been processed...asume not!!??

Had a look at t&c and says price match only at point of sale

Surely some where like cycle surgery should be better like price match and better.

I bought a computer from john Lewis before and within the week they were offering free printers. I asked the sale guy and said I could still bring mine back under the 14 day money back and biy again etc. anyway he gave me a free
    Printer to match current offer