Trick or Treat

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
There was a debate about this on the radio just before one today, and how it's 'demanding money with menaces' and suchlike. So, I was wondering if anyone else knows the following version of trick or treat.....

A group of kids go up to a house, lets say seven, they are dressed in costumes and holding paper bags. They knock on the door and shout "trick or treat". All good so far. The householder then puts things into the individual bags, these are six sweets and one stone. The kids don't know what went into their bags until they get back to the street, where they find out which of them has been 'tricked' and which have been 'treated'.

I used to read Charlie Brown cartoon books as a kid (it was a long time ago :roll: ), and this is how trick or treat worked in those. The very term makes me think that this is right, because if wasn't surely it would be "treat or trick"?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• And then the stone gets thrown at your window.

That unfortunately is how it would work around here.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Indeed. I believe the phrase 'Treat or mindless vandalism to your property' should the expression. At least it's upfront.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I agree with you both.

I'm fortunate that it isn't that way around where I live, but I realise that it is so for a lot of areas.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's one of the advantages of living in a village. It's been like this for years for me: the kids will always be with adults and will only approach houses which are clearly decorated and "up for it"

If you're obviously not taking part you get left alone.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    To be fair, i have only had a problem once and it wasn't where i live now.

On that occasion, it was a houseshare and we were in the front lounge all night ignoring the knocks on the door. Nothing happened that we were aware of. In the morning, i set off for work and thought 'Oh, the windscreen is a bit dirty', applied the wiper and got a total white-out. The little bastids had covered my windscreen in coca-cola. I would have laughed at their ingenuity had it not happened on a dual carriageway at 70mph. Ruined a set of blades and took some cleaning with very hot water to get it all off. Not to mention having to drive the rest of the way 'Ace Ventura Style' out the side window..... (That was pretty fun though)
  • It's one of the advantages of living in a village. It's been like this for years for me: the kids will always be with adults and will only approach houses which are clearly decorated and "up for it"

If you're obviously not taking part you get left alone.

This happens where I live too, it's always young kids with an adult and they only visit those houses that 'are taking part' by having lighted pumpkins or such like on display. It's always good fun and in the 6 years we've lived where we do we've never had any problems.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    If you answer the door naked whilst holding a machete and shout "TRICCCCK" they seem to get the message
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Fortunately here the kids don't come a knocking. I'm not doling out for anything I am too old to have benefitted from! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......