Easiest gear ratios for little hands?

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited November 2012 in MTB general
I want to get rid of the SRAM grip shift on my daughters bike because she cant shift it up the block.

I've not used Shimano for years and cant remember how they feel and shift.

Which out of Shimano and SRAM will have the easiest Shifting ratio for 6 year old hands?

This all a bit trial and error and don't want to be spending big bucks if it doesn't work.

I have a post in the kids section regarding kids and gripshift but wanted to ask this question to a wider audience.

Cheers in advance.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Shimano uses a longer throw than SRAM, which makes changes easier, but longer. So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Personally I would go Shimano, maybe even ez-fire as they are ridiculously light touch.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gripshifts (especially cheaper ones) can be quite heavy.

Shimano do have a longer through, SRAM have a softer return spring on the mechs but that is offset by the effects of pull ratio.

We have 3 nine speed bikes (4 if you count the one on twist shifts!) in the family, one is on Shimano (Deore both ends), one on SRAM (X9 shifter and X7 mech) and one on mix (SRAM rocket shifter and XT rear mech). The mixture one has the lightest shift lever weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Don't know if this is any help to you or not, my daughter struggled with grip shifters so I fitted a set of these and she can shift with ease now http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-tourney-sl-tx50-6-speed-sis-thumb-shifter-plus-pair-prod26057/?src=froogle
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    cyd190468 wrote:
    What rear mech is it? If the mech is sram then you'll have to change that to go shimano.

Cheers, yeah I'm aware of that. I'm trying to avoid changing the lot to Shimano.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is the rear mech? The commonest twist shifter is SRAM MRX which is Shimano 2:1 not SRAM 1:1.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.