Another Colnago C59 !!

ianeverton
ianeverton Posts: 231
edited November 2012 in Your road bikes
Just got my new pride and joy home, bought and built it at Maestro in Bognor Regis. Have to say I spent several hours with Mike whilst we built the bike and he is such a nice and knowledgeable guy, I would truly recommend anybody that is after a Colnago to speak with Mike @ Maestro.

Build is as follows...

Frame: 2013 Colnago C59
Forks: Colnago C59 Carbon fork
Bars: 3T ErgoNova Ltd Carbon bars
Stem: 3T ARX Ltd Carbon stem
Brake Levers: Super Record 11
Brake Calipers: Zero Gravity Negative G
Front Mech: Super Record 11
Rear Mech: Super Record 11
Seat: Fizik Antares Braided Saddle
Seat Post: Colnago Carbon Post
Chainset: Super Record 11
Chain: Record
Cassette: Super Record 11
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Titanium
Wheels : Mavic Carbone SLR clincher
Tyres : Michelin Krylion Carbon
Accessories: Zipp bottle cages
Weight: ??

P1020329.jpg

P1020328.jpg

P1020327.jpg

P1020324.jpg

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    nice, is the saddle set correctly? What size?
  • Saddle needs tweaking, it is a 52s
    nice, is the saddle set correctly? What size?
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    Nice! Love that colour scheme.

Saw it when I was up mikes the other week, very possibly this very one!

Enjoy it, get out on it whist the weathers still ok!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Saw that colour scheme on a C59 frame at AW nr Reading. It is lovely so must look stunning when all built up. Lucky boy.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Very nice! You must be chuffed, saw this colour scheme at sigma last week, looks beautiful in the flesh
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Another Colnago C59......beauty :D true about Mike, always a pleasure.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Hate to be that guy but... you definitely could have gone with a larger frame/smaller stem and ended up with a better aesthetic. Fewer spacers, less seatpost e.t.c. Maybe bear it in mind if you make another purchase in the near future.

Those Mavic decals could be lost too. They are ghastly things. On the other hand i really love the blue on this particular paint job.
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Great looking bike! Nice colour scheme. Enjoy riding!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Lovely Frame Ian,

When I originally saw that frame in my LBS I really wanted one in that colour scheme, then saw the 150th Anniversary Edition and decided as it was a once in a lifetime purchase that the extra dosh was worth it, but comparing them side by side they do look similar, obvious things are mine has no C59 logos, instead it has 150th on it and it has the Italian map on the seat tube: -

c59_1.jpg

My C59

I've changed a few things since the pictures, I splashed out on some white Colnago Carbon bottle cages as the Elite went a bit off colour, I've changed the peddles now to LOOK Ti Blades and I'm evaluating a different saddle, but finding it very hard to find one that looks as good as the Arione in white.

I also switch the wheels between Bora's and Bullets, depending on the ride.

They ride beautifully, do yourself a favour and get some heli tape and put it under the down tube to protect that beautiful "Made in Italy" graphic, jr88 was doing some deals on 1metre lengths.

What was your bill from Mike for the Frame, Forks and seatpost? I managed to get mine direct from Italy for £2411 (€2950)

As to your size, the seatpost etc. look nicely balanced, without knowing your measurements it's impossible to tell whether the bike is the right size, but I'm assuming that Mike did a full bike fit for you, so he is bound to know more than any of us.

Enjoy it and cherish it, frames like this only come through our hands on rare occasions unless you are stinking rich.
  • Velonutter
    BTW Ian, get yourself one of these canvas covers for your bike, they fit brilliantly and have the Colnago logo on and it stops one of my kids scratching the frame whilst it's in the garage: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bag-Dust ... 2ec2d989c1
  • Thanks for your thoughts, however i was fitted for the frame by Mike @ Maestro so it is the correct size for my measurements.

EKIMIKE wrote:
    Hate to be that guy but... you definitely could have gone with a larger frame/smaller stem and ended up with a better aesthetic. Fewer spacers, less seatpost e.t.c. Maybe bear it in mind if you make another purchase in the near future.

Those Mavic decals could be lost too. They are ghastly things. On the other hand i really love the blue on this particular paint job.
  • They no longer do the 150th colourway as it was a 2012 frame colour, my frame is exactly the same but without the 150th and the Italian flag.

The frame, fork and seatpost was approx £2,900.

Velonutter wrote:
    Lovely Frame Ian,

When I originally saw that frame in my LBS I really wanted one in that colour scheme, then saw the 150th Anniversary Edition and decided as it was a once in a lifetime purchase that the extra dosh was worth it, but comparing them side by side they do look similar, obvious things are mine has no C59 logos, instead it has 150th on it and it has the Italian map on the seat tube: -

c59_1.jpg

My C59

I've changed a few things since the pictures, I splashed out on some white Colnago Carbon bottle cages as the Elite went a bit off colour, I've changed the peddles now to LOOK Ti Blades and I'm evaluating a different saddle, but finding it very hard to find one that looks as good as the Arione in white.

I also switch the wheels between Bora's and Bullets, depending on the ride.

They ride beautifully, do yourself a favour and get some heli tape and put it under the down tube to protect that beautiful "Made in Italy" graphic, jr88 was doing some deals on 1metre lengths.

What was your bill from Mike for the Frame, Forks and seatpost? I managed to get mine direct from Italy for £2411 (€2950)

As to your size, the seatpost etc. look nicely balanced, without knowing your measurements it's impossible to tell whether the bike is the right size, but I'm assuming that Mike did a full bike fit for you, so he is bound to know more than any of us.

Enjoy it and cherish it, frames like this only come through our hands on rare occasions unless you are stinking rich.
  • stunning mate, enjoy it !
  • Thanks Mr_SJ and Jonjo I think it.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Is there somewhere on the colnago site or anywhere else that you can get the full list and pics of the 2013 colours?
  • Yes it is on the Colnago main website, also the C59 colours are on the Sigma Sport website.

If you are after a C59 and know what size you require I would drop Mike @ Maestro an email and ask what options they have as his supplier may have older colours available in different sizes.

Is there somewhere on the colnago site or anywhere else that you can get the full list and pics of the 2013 colours?
  • glasgowbhoy
    Thanks Ian, yes spoke to Mike earlier in the year. He was helpful. Based on my current frame 'Kuota Kebel' he suggested a 54s although I feel pretty stretched out on the size Large Kuota and thought the 52s would be better. I'm 5"10 and have a 770 centre bb to top of saddle measurement that Mike felt might be too much seatpost showing.
    I left it at that over the summer but keep lusting after one. I was all set on the black and white team edition frame too but now unsure on the matt finishes and think I prefer the gloss finish on the paintwork now. TSWH and 12WH are both very nice! Black/White/Red combos I like on bikes.
  • I like a lot of seatpost showing hence why I went for the 52s, the black and white team edition is very nice, Mike also had the red and white frame there which was also nice.
    Thanks Ian, yes spoke to Mike earlier in the year. He was helpful. Based on my current frame 'Kuota Kebel' he suggested a 54s although I feel pretty stretched out on the size Large Kuota and thought the 52s would be better. I'm 5"10 and have a 770 centre bb to top of saddle measurement that Mike felt might be too much seatpost showing.
    I left it at that over the summer but keep lusting after one. I was all set on the black and white team edition frame too but now unsure on the matt finishes and think I prefer the gloss finish on the paintwork now. TSWH and 12WH are both very nice! Black/White/Red combos I like on bikes.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Thats a lovely looking bike with a great build - enjoy!

I really like both the TSIT and 150th colourway - so much so, in fact that, that I am definitely considering swapping from my GDOB version.....

Rich
  • Thanks Rich

I wasn't going to buy this colour until I saw it in the flesh, then I had to have one !!

Rich.H wrote:
    Thats a lovely looking bike with a great build - enjoy!

I really like both the TSIT and 150th colourway - so much so, in fact that, that I am definitely considering swapping from my GDOB version.....

Rich
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    EKIMIKE wrote:

I disagree. This looks spot on to me. The longer stem looks great. I believe Mike is a former pro team mechanic so better than most LBS' at this sort of thing
  • very nice that, make sure you lock that up properly! nice machine enjoy it
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Fair enough... just my opinion, i'm keenly aware! It did however amuse that someone on weightweenies made this comment about this set-up:

"If that amount of saddle setback, spacer stack and stem length are your correct setup, I think you should be riding a bigger frame..."
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Nice bike enjoy,i did like the infinito too.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • glasgowbhoy
    I love these frames but the more I research the Colnago owners world (weight weenies in particular) it seems my set up would sneered at.
    The insistence on campag groupsets from the 'purists' doesn't work with me as I don't own any campag kit and didnt like it on a bike I did ride with veloce before. I do think the super record chainset looks good on these C59's but I have shimano on all my bikes and like to switch up wheelsets.
    More deliberating.......
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Fair enough... just my opinion, i'm keenly aware! It did however amuse that someone on weightweenies made this comment about this set-up:

"If that amount of saddle setback, spacer stack and stem length are your correct setup, I think you should be riding a bigger frame..."

Frame choice driven by the desire to have more seat post showing seems, to me at least, an odd way to approach frame size, especially if you need to significantly raise the front up to create a manageable position.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Glasgowbhoy,

Its your money you can spec it how you like ! If you wanted to spec 105 on a C59, so be it, its your choice.

Remember that the C59 is made with carbon from Toray, a Japanese company, so it already has a bit of Japanese pedigree in the mix.

You will probably have already guessed I run Shimano on my C59s. Like you I already had wheels, tools etc that were Shimano, so it made sense to keep it that way. I think with the top end Shimano and Colnago you will get an awesome combo with a C59, then its just down to what floats your boat.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I love these frames but the more I research the Colnago owners world (weight weenies in particular) it seems my set up would sneered at.
    The insistence on campag groupsets from the 'purists' doesn't work with me as I don't own any campag kit and didnt like it on a bike I did ride with veloce before. I do think the super record chainset looks good on these C59's but I have shimano on all my bikes and like to switch up wheelsets.
    More deliberating.......

Well Colnago brought out Di2 frames 2 years before EPS was available so I'm sure Ernesto doesn't mind you putting it on his frames. They are actually one of the most well thought out Di2 frames too, very clean cabling and hidden battery, no horrible plugged holes anywhere.

Colnago has a long history associating with Shimano, if that really matter one iota to your groupset choice. Put on what you want and enjoy the frame.

I'm thinking of one of these with Praxis Works rings for my Di2 equipped 59. I too love the Campag chainsets on these frames.

9155_7764_162220.jpg
  • Velonutter
    @Glasgowboy - If you are ever down my way then you are welcome to try my SR setup, it is like chalk and cheese from Veloce 10s.

@Ian, you have the same amount of header showing as I have and it looks perfectly fine, not everyone has to have the stem slammed and what a lot of people forget is that we are not all 21 years old and as you get older you lose a lot of the flexibility that you had when you were younger. We ride bikes for enjoyment and if you happen to race then fine, I dabble, not particularly brilliant, I just ride for the health and social aspects.

The balance on your bike looks perfect mate and if it is comfortable then don't bow to peer pressure, if Mike set you up for it then he knows better, my measurements were setup from Adrian Tmmis and like Mike he knows a thing or two about bike setups.

Enjoy your bike it looks great :-)

I have a couple of good friends that are Italian and ride both for an Italian Club and our UK one, from what I can gather the Italians are to some extent very unpatriotic, with an split between all of the 3 brands, they do like their Italian frames though. :-)