Gravity Enduros

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Races should ideally not clash with DH or XC races in that region.
    I think full face helmets should be optional, there is usually nothing more technical than what people are riding at trail centres every weekend wearing just XC helmets.
    For results websites like Roots & Rain are really good for posting results quickly and it's good for keeping track of your results and progress.
  • 5. If a lower standard of technicality, not needed (depends if BC want to be involved?)
    Most event are have BC involved don't they? insurance, Rule Etc....
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Yes, most do - I can imagine they will have a set of 'safety' standards if it becomes BC affiliated, which normally involved a comissairre to overview.

Whether or not they decide a FF helmet should be the standard or not, who knows. I know they are trying to take inspriation from the Super Enduro/Avalanche Cup series, which is good, being the pinnacle of this type of event, but they are also on considerably bigger mountains & tracks.

I'm not bother either way if a FF is required or not. It won't stop me entering :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I have nt done one so i won't answer the questions as i don't want to skew the survey

If I was still in N Wales, I would definitely be looking to have a crack. What would put me off is that I'm just a normal trail rider, not a DHer. I have an XC (ish) Hardtail and no FF, I could scrape together some knee and elbow pads and some 2.3in tyres. I suspect that the target rider for these sorts of things in the UK is in a similar position. I would be unlikely to splash out on the right equipment without being able to try a few beforehand.

One of the reasons for the growth of XC enduros (which i believe are now called marathons) and 24hr races is that a normal bloke can turn up on pretty much anything and have a crack against the pros for a challenge, a fun challenge, but a challenge none the less. The fun parts of these is that there are Pros racing for serious prizes, shop teams adn groups of mates taking it seriously and then a few people who would nt dream of interrupting beer time by doing anything as stupid as riding at night.

It would be a shame to put off people like these by making GE's too DH or too inaccessible to average trail riders. Obviously there is a balance where the Gee Athertons and Tracy Moseley's still need to be challenged enough to make it a race, but they will make their money and get their atmosphere from the little guys.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ddraver wrote:
    It would be a shame to put off people like these by making GE's too DH or too inaccessible to average trail riders.

I know where you're coming from... What I'd say, though, is that most trail riders don't really know what they can do! You hear a lot "I don't do downhill tracks" but it's just riding your bike. Sure, it's hard, but it's on the same scale. When I was over in france this week, every day we rode stuff that was harder than most uk dh tracks, but everyone got on with it because it didn't say downhill on it. The same guys wouldn't do an uplift in the UK but they'll do it in france.

The early ones at innerleithen had a recurring theme- people saying "I wouldn't have entered if I'd known it was using the downhill trails" followed by "but I'm really glad I did, it was brilliant", and then quite a lot of talk about uplifts and maybe bigger bikes and such. When they ran an enduro as part of the winter series a few years back, a load of folks then signed up for the downhill race that followed, who'd never even dreamed of it before.

Mind you, that doesn't mean it's for everyone... I've seen a few people that are in too deep, which is a shame, but mostly what I've seen is it adding an extra level to competent riders' idea of what the sport can be for them.

Which is ****ing brilliant!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • It would be a shame to put off people like these by making GE's too DH or too inaccessible to average trail riders. Obviously there is a balance where the Gee Athertons and Tracy Moseley's still need to be challenged enough to make it a race, but they will make their money and get their atmosphere from the little guys.
    Well said!
    I know where you're coming from... What I'd say, though, is that most trail riders don't really know what they can do! You hear a lot "I don't do downhill tracks" but it's just riding your bike. Sure, it's hard, but it's on the same scale. When I was over in france this week, every day we rode stuff that was harder than most uk dh tracks, but everyone got on with it because it didn't say downhill on it. The same guys wouldn't do an uplift in the UK but they'll do it in france.

The early ones at innerleithen had a recurring theme- people saying "I wouldn't have entered if I'd known it was using the downhill trails" followed by "but I'm really glad I did, it was brilliant", and then quite a lot of talk about uplifts and maybe bigger bikes and such.

Mind you, that doesn't mean it's for everyone... I've seen a few people that are in too deep, which is a shame, but mostly what I've seen is it adding an extra level to competent riders' idea of what the sport can be for them.

Which is ****ing brilliant!
    Also agree with the france bit all my Xc mate won't touch UK DH But the did in france!
  • Also some of the DH i have ridden in the uk has been ace and the grass roots DH races are a great way to inprove your bike skills. I will be doing my local DH series next year on my 140mm HT, Its great when you bet Triple crowners in PJs :D
    I will be doing the DH races at Rogate, Gravity Project Site(1,2&3), and maybe some at Bull Track, PORC, UK bike park, FOD
    Busy year for Mini DH in the South.
  • ddraver
    I hear what you re saying Northwind. My only real experience with a "DH" track is the ones at Gawton near Tavistock. Although the blue was no trouble for me at all, the 2 black runs were unbelievable. Frankly I could nt see how anyone rode them, I 'd have called it falling with style! I confess i could nt even walk down them!

That's kind of put me off DH tracks. But then I look at the vids of the new place by Blenau Ffestiniog and I think that does nt look too had at all...

It's time for another go, which is why a GE would appeal to me, but then I doubt they re that common in Holland ;)
    - @ddraver
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm just a normal trail rider, not a DHer. I have an XC (ish) Hardtail and no FF, I could scrape together some knee and elbow pads and some 2.3in tyres. I suspect that the target rider for these sorts of things in the UK is in a similar position.
    I reckon that more UK trail riders use 2.3s than <2.3s and probably have some armour somewhere. A FF would be a limiting factor as it's not really in a trail riders 'needs'. IfTrail riders get their kicks out of descending and riding technically challenging trails, gravduros are definately for them, if not, aren't you just an XC lad? And though the NPS track at Hamsterly was definately a test for someone not comfortable on the most technical of trails, it was nearlly all doable for a competant rider. It has no jumps or drops, it just tight singletrack but damn rooty and gnar-to-the-max! I loved it :D What I'm saying is, I think gravduros are exactly what a trail rider is looking for with only a few purchases to enter.
  • ddraver
    An alternative would be somewhere with marked alternative routes (chicken runs basically, but lets be pc ;) ). Although for the 4 mins I'm on course it would be like my own personal World Championships, afterwards I don't really care if I'm second to last, as long as my riding buddy is last! :P
    - @ddraver
  • 4-6 mins a runs sound good to me!
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    1) Yes

2) Yes, hard to say. What suits one person wouldn't suit another. The trouble is trying not to clash with other events but of course, some times there is nothing you can do about it.

3) Yes

4) Depends on the track, but not all stages are about DH, some stages you require hill climb for a bit

5) No, normal helmet should be fine

6) Sounds about right