Replacement for Formula rear hub, QR9/10mm 135mm?

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Formula hub is fine, but the freehub body is not and I can not source a replacement. Nor can I take it apart. There is a cartridge bearing outboard and loose ball on the inside and these are shot and inaccessible, the tool I made to take the FWH apart (in mild steel :| ) just did not do the job.

Basically I am thinking in terms of:

Anything better than a 9mm QR system;
Cartridge bearings throughout, replaceable - including for the FWH.
Or, with readily available FWH bodies if these are not serviceable.
And, reliable. Just had a friend whose holiday was part-ruined because of a pawl spring failure on his £££ Crank Bros wheelset, so I do not correlate price to reliability. Hence I am a bit wary of spending lots of £ on a hub.

Failing which I could possibly just go for a Shimano hub knowing that it will last a couple of years and will function even with shot cups and cones, and the FWH is easily obtained.

Any suggestions gratefully received, especially any with a 10mm through axle type arrangement.

Thanks in advance!
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the free hub reomves with an allen key.

the bearings press knock out.

free bodys are available. Ask the bike seller.

a new wheel would be better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    9mm through axles are fairly pointless, slight improvement in stiffness, but not so youd notice on the trail. As per nicklouse's comment. A whole wheel will be better value.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • konadawg
    Hi, the fwh is removable from the hub (spline tool however, not allen) and that is off, but the fwh hub itself can't be taken apart (easily).

Perhaps a new wheel but really none of the requirements changes re the hub, one whose fwh is not commonly replaceable or serviceable means we are back to square one, a hub (and wheel if so) that is toast after a week in somewhere abrasively muddy.
    Giant Reign X1
  • konadawg
    Any opinions on these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=37012

Anyone have any idea whether the cart's are easily replaceable?

Also, would a solid axle be usable? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39200

Thanks again
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    made by formula. as per all cartridge bearing hubs quite simple, and no it would not fit that hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown