Most stupid injury that stopped you cycling!

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited October 2012 in Road general
Let's hear it then!

I'll get the ball rolling as yesterday I spent 3 hrs in A&E having the end of my left thumb stuck back on....I was being so helpful whilst on a day off preparing a Levi Roots Carribean Lamb Shanks dinner for the family. "Slice the carrots length ways about 1/4" thick" he said. So I did, until as I pushed down with the 12" knife and it rolled off the carrot and took a 45 degree slice off the end off my left thumb - straight through, including the nail! :cry:

So, blood pouring everywhere, my first reaction was to run it under the cold tap (silly sod, I hadn't burnt the bloody thing!) and ouch, that really smarted! Grabbed the kitchen roll and remembered what I was supposed to do. Held it in the air and applied pressure. Within a minute I broke out into a freezing cold sweat, my shirt was drenched and my head went light! Ooh, sit down and get the phone! Calmed down after about 5 minutes and waited 1/2 hr for the wife to answer (she was thrashing up and down the local pool at the time!)

Trip to hospital and it looked much smaller than I recalled it appearing (the slashed off bit, not the remnants of my thumb!) and the nurse, Steve did a great job of sticking it back on with steristrips and dressing it. Now I have 5 days off work before I needs looking at again and probably at least the same off the bike. Damn.

PP

Comments

• essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    If your not using thumb shifters you should be ok :lol:
  • pilot_pete
    SRAM Double Tap on the winter bike, but I'm not allowed to get it wet, even on a dry day I sweat like buggery, so that's put paid to that until next week! :cry:

PP
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Ouch! Still you can always use your other hand for a lamb shank.

Heal soon.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Finger nail punctured between chain and fixed sprocket whilst cleaning bike.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Sounds quite nasty :(
    Worst I've had is a case of nobby stiles after a 90 mile wet ride last winter :oops: Bloody painful and kept me off the bike for a good few weeks.

Did wipe out onto a soft grass verge t'other day, while trying to switch rear light on :oops: Didn't hurt myself but was bloody embarrassing :!:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Broke my arm after my wife fell off her MTB knocking me off my MTB and us both landing in a heap.

Why did she fall off?

'Coz, I slapped her bum as I passed her. :oops:
  • Ouch!

Mine has to be an unfortunate incident after my first time clipped in to SPDs. Coming to a standstill I suddenly realised I didn't know how to get out of them, so panic set in. I wriggled, twisted and turned and finally got out of them and thought nothing more about it.....

....that was until later that evening, when I had some 'serious pain' in my undercrackers. This was a Friday night so a trip to the doctors on call in a cold sweat and agony reveals that I twisted a 'charlie swallock'!!! In pain like you wouldn't imagine, it was a race against time to get to the hospital before the strangulated piece of my anatomy died and I would then have to have it cut out and live life with one short of a pair.

Thankfully an emergence operation soon after I arrived 'untwisted' the offending item and I sit here happily still with a meat a TWO veg and not one!!!

Anyway, that kept / put me off cycling (and work) for a good few weeks. Thankfully the surgeon stitched them both in place so it 'should' never happen again! :oops:
  • pilot_pete
    Ooo, twisted swallock sounds painful! Mate of mine 'wrenched' (the term he used) one when playing football. Visited him in hospital and he insisted we took a look....it was the size of a small melon, I kid you not! He wasn't a cyclist, but he was off football until the end of the season....! :?

PP
  • pilot_pete
    Navrig wrote:
    Broke my arm after my wife fell off her MTB knocking me off my MTB and us both landing in a heap.

Why did she fall off?

'Coz, I slapped her bum as I passed her. :oops:

So far navrig, that takes first place for most stupid!

Well, that's assuming my attempting to cook like Levi Roots doesn't top you!

PP
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    For me it wbeing knocked over by a Golden Retriever.

I was standing still on the Thames Towpath in flip flops, when hit. Sustained an open fracture of the Tib/Fib, requiring 2 operations and 9 months until it healed enough to allow me out on the roads.... 12 months before mountain biking. A few more months and op number 3, which will tkae me off the bike again for 2-3 months.

Watch out for them dogs... evil they are!
  • pilot_pete
    Crikey sassse, that certainly takes first place for length of time off the bike!

PP
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    Pilot Pete, yes long and also very embarrassing to admit to something so stupid.

Hope you are back up and riding in a few days.
  • Mallet fracture - last joint of my left middle finger.

Due to an SPD related fall (while stationary but that's another story :oops: ). Left it for a couple of weeks because it wasn't painful, then the Mrs insisted that I go and get it checked out because it was inflammed.

Doc referred me for X-ray and then two days later I had to have surgery on said finger where they drilled two metal pins into my bones to straighten it.

No cycling for six weeks and a lot of embarassment. Although I got to flip peaple off while showing them what i'd done :lol:
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • bluedoggy
    bluedoggy Posts: 284
    Kicked a door down the other week. A girl was locked on the inside of our studio, so instead of booting the door down, I used my arm and shoulder. Snapped a rib muscle. Still recovering from it. What a fucking dick head.
    Wilier cento uno.